Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 gl conv rwd?

Don't just cut the axle. Remove the whole cage assembly from the cup. Just leave the cup and attached axle piece through the hub. I always keep a couple of these laying around, just in case. I do warn you again that you will be putting lots of extra strain on the diff. I exploded a welded diff with 26" tires.

Also these.

Don't just cut the axle. Remove the whole cage assembly from the cup. Just leave the cup and attached axle piece through the hub. I always keep a couple of these laying around, just in case. I do warn you again that you will be putting lots of extra strain on the diff. I exploded a welded diff with 26" tires.

Also these.

I can't open any of the links.

How does one go about taking out the cage assembly?

I Think you mean transfer gear.....not the ring gear in the front diff correct???

I welded my transfer gear collar rigth to the gear to keep maximum engagement on the teeth in my T-cased rig.......no need to use the FWD option.

But that is T-cased not really relavent here.

Oops, without actually tearing into the trans I'm sure you're correct

So I just bought a 80 hatchback that was converted into a rwd drift machine. The dude before me had taken the innards from a single range loyal tranny and put them into an ej22 bell housing, chopped and welded the front axle nubs and lowered it so it sits about 5 inches off the ground. It's about to have my ej22 dropped in and we shall see how well it actually handles

So I just bought a 80 hatchback that was converted into a rwd drift machine. The dude before me had taken the innards from a single range loyal tranny and put them into an ej22 bell housing, chopped and welded the front axle nubs and lowered it so it sits about 5 inches off the ground. It's about to have my ej22 dropped in and we shall see how well it actually handles

Is this the red one on white wheels? Pics?

I fixed the чертовскй cv axle and it broke after half a mile. I think my car was destined to be rwd.

You did something wrong. 

Miss one of the rings on that Tripod? 

Should....Get rid of the stupid aftermarket crap tripod axle anyhow.

Do it right with a good axle and it should not break.

• 10 months later...

I Think you mean transfer gear.....not the ring gear in the front diff correct???

I welded my transfer gear collar rigth to the gear to keep maximum engagement on the teeth in my T-cased rig.......no need to use the FWD option.

But that is T-cased not really relavent here.

How do you weld the transfer gear collar to the gear? I have to replace my rwd s/r gear box every year or soo.