Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Parking Brake Adjustment o_O

My '92 Loyale 4WD 5-speed has essentially no parking brake function, it is that far out of adjustment. It holds okay on the level, but any incline will defeat it. The trouble I'm having is that the setup on the vehicle looks nothing like the diagram in the Chilton book, so I really don't know where to go with this. I haven't found anything on this topic in this forum either. I know that the parking brake works on the front wheels, but what I see is heavily shielded cable running from somewhere amidships to the back of the caliper, with nary an adjustable point in sight. What am I missing?   

• 11 months later...

I am having an issue with a buddys car in this department. 

I have tightened the adjustment, and verified the cables are actuating the levers on the calipers. I have lubed all parts and cleaned surfaces. Brakes are fine under normal operation, and all parts/clips for the parking brake cables are present. 

what did I miss?

Somehow, this thread is getting Funny!  :D 

If he is spinning the Rears... 

then the user is the issue: The parking brake goes to the Front on these EA82's 

If he is spinning the Fronts...

then I bet that the Parking Brake Mechanism is worn and needs a rebuild.

Usually the small steel "Triangle" worns out and fails to Push the Bolt that pushes the Piston... I got rid of such mechanism and erased the front parking brake from the Calipers, long years ago, because they get worn out beyond any safe repair, so my "BumbleBeast" features a Custom Rear parking brake, which holds stronger the Subie on our mountainous Honduran streets, plenty of steep hills...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

spinning fronts, ive owned 15+ L series......yes im still asking a question about it.

Jeszek, thank you as always for the informative nature of your correspondence. I may tear into them, or just replace them, the cars owner just got a job at a local subaru dealership, so he'll get em cheap. I actually have a few employees from said dealership who bring me their old soobs now lol.

• Like 1

... Jeszek, thank you as always for the informative nature of your correspondence...

You're Welcome!

Please follow the link below, in order to reach photos of the rebuild kit's parts, including part numbers and the aforementioned "Steel Triangles" which are in the pink bag, everything came on a White Box:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/98476-help-please-direct-front-brakes-swap/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1026853

I bet that those Triangles, named "CONN LINK CALIPER" on the Bag, are worn and are the culprit of the issue.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

My parking brake has been acting up over the past few months and finally completely broke today. 

Just starting to look into the issue now. Front right is slightly engaged as I hear occasional noise and brake dust.

Edited by sull