Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Brat Fuel Pump

I ordered a Airtex fuel pump but it doesn't look a thing like the one under the car(near the gas tank). The stock one is a square one, I've never seen one like this or an inline fuel pump.  I guess I'll find out if this works. 

I'm trying to get this little bad boy running before I leave back home.  Got a new coil and wired up some loose ends and got it to crank over but not start. I've changed the plugs but still need a helping hand to see if I'm getting spark.  

I guess my question is will this pump work? What else should I check?  I'll get some pictures of the stock pump and try to do some install pictures. 

My Airtex pump for my 79 goes in the engine bay. There's a little mount between the charcoal canister and the pitch mount where it sits. Fuel line comes from the passenger corner, to the pump mounted on that little ledge, then straight to the carby. The stock wiring harness should have a connector for it in that general area, then grounds to chassis.

Hope it helps.

pumpypump.jpg

so the square thing to the left is what i believe to be the fuel pump and the round thing on the right is the fuel filter. the replacement pump looks nothing like this.

lvsarge, do you have a picture i can look at to reference

image-2.jpg

Is this the canister your are talking about, the round thing next to the strut tower?

post-53736-0-21821200-1403909187_thumb.jpg

post-53736-0-99007200-1403914174_thumb.jpg

post-53736-0-37786300-1403979204_thumb.jpg

Edited by brat69

can i get the car to run without the air box/vacuums hooked up? or do i have to have all things hooked up to get it to run? 

this is the fuel pump i ordered that should get here on monday

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8016S-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000C1LW0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404016602&sr=8-1&keywords=1981+subaru+brat+fuel+pump

Edited by brat69

Looked at the old fuel pump and it has me confused. The eom pump has two wires; one blk and the other blk/white. On the new airtex replacement there is a black and a tan one.

My question is what goes where?

Looked at the old fuel pump and it has me confused. The eom pump has two wires; one blk and the other blk/white. On the new airtex replacement there is a black and a tan one.

My question is what goes where?

I`m installing the same pump in an Austin Mini today.

Black is ground on both pumps,