Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello Everyone

I have owned my Baja for 2 years now with no significant problems. I have kept it well maintained, changing everything needed. As of late it started smoking from the exhaust and under the hood beneath the turbo where I think the manifold is...I took it to my mechanic ( whom I trust ). He told me that A. he thought it was the turbo going, and B. it needed a valve cover gasket. He said he wanted me to get a 2 nd opinion because the turbo is a big job. So I took it to another place where they have a Subaru mechanic and he said that he saw no indication of turbo issues. I then took it back to my mechanic. He changed the valve cover gasket. It still smoked. So I took it back again, and he said that there was something adjacent or behind the valve cover gasket and he fixed that. He told me to drive it for a week to see if the oil would burn off and if not bring it back... It is still smoking...maybe not as much...I am not quite sure yet. Today I took it about 45 miles and it didnt smoke until I was 1/2 mile from home. I am beside myself. NO loss of oil, always full, no idiot light...nothing...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you John, I will bring this to the attention of my mechanic. I appreciate your response. I don't know if he did or not, I am assuming not. I hate to change the turbo if it isn't that...I will keep you posted when I ask him next week. thanks, Kelly

There is a banjo bolt for the oil supply line on the turbo that can loosen and leak oil. It's recommended to remove the banjo bolt, install new copper washers and make sure the small screen filter in the banjo bolt is clean before re-installing.

There is also a known issue with one of the oil lines running to the turbo. Subaru has a TSB about it. I don't recall if it was the supply line or the drain line that had the issue.

• 1 month later...