Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nick's 83 Brat Build

nick1208

Hey guys! Scored a new old school over the weekend. This is my 1983 Brat. Has A/C, Fun Tops, and came with some extra wheels and tires. Very clean for sitting for so long. Doesn't run, but turns over. Goal is to get it to daily driver status. Picked it up for $275 and my Loyale was able to tow it up some gnarly hills. only paid $275
MMDsaDk.jpgDWEYDac.jpguPpPw72.jpgZMlzWBN.jpg5C4RAWI.jpgId1kR6i.jpg

Rob helped me get it in my garage

So now i checked the fuel pump, since that wasn't going on when we turned accessories on. no sound. looks like previous owner tried to wire it himself. But when I connected it to the key on, still no sound. so probably bad fuel pump. Also there is no spark. What do you guys address when you find no spark? disty? coil? 

First Brat I have ever seen that has Power steering from the factory, least it looks that way...

First thing to check for the spark, especially if the PO was tinkering with the wiring is to thoroughly check all wiring involved with the ignition system.  Get as many diagrams as possible, learn the system and confirm that all the connections and wires are correct. 

I had a problem once on my '83 where the connecter for the Fuel pump relay was plugged into the interior light and/or door chime relay.   Power for the coil goes through the fuel pump relay in order to kill the pump if the engine stops running.

Edited by SkankinPickle
  • Like 1

It runs! Just got it running today. No spark was the problem, along with bad fuel pump wiring. Got a new distributor and coil, fired up. Then tinkered with the fuel pump wiring and now it runs! it sputters a little when you punch it, maybe timing is a little off.