Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tie rod ends and ball joins, 1993 Loyale 2wd.

I am going to replace the ball joints on my Soob, and wondered if I should do the tie rod ends also. Seems like my local parts house cant/doesnt know where to get them, so I called the dealer and they are roughly $52 a piece... so I am in $200 just for tie rod ends.

Also wondered if I could get some parts numbers from you guys, and maybe that will help my parts house find them for me.

I did my '85 wagon recently.   New tie rods, ball joints, steering boots, wheel bearings and seals, struts and mounts, brake pads, turned the rotors, rebuilt the calipers and rebooted the axles.   I sourced all the parts at rockauto except the steering boots.   Car had 220,000 on it.   All original parts... even the brake pads.    

You need to determine how many miles are on the vehicle, any parts recently replaced, and how long you intend to own the vehicle.   I will probably be buried in my Subie... it's cheaper than a coffin.

If you can wait a few days, I'd grab the ball joints from a dealer online (will save you a good bit on NICE, OEM ball joints). Grabbed mine at ~20 each. Then grab some nice Moog or Raybestos Prof. stuff off rockauto.com

Like up above, if it has a higher mileage and the inners flop around (or sound like a dislocated shoulder), then I'd do the inners too.

It has low miles (90,000) and the inners seem tight to me. The outers are a little loose, and the ball joints are just flopping around like nobodys business. Can you send me a link to what I need to get? I have the ball joints, I need the left and right outer tie rods. Send me what you think would be best.