Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sad news to report

Very sad to hear. Ed was plain awesome.

The first time I met him he went out of his way to swing by my place in Seattle when my car was down to give me the part I needed- a straight up act of kindness. I always enjoyed visiting with him in the years after, trading parts or just chatting at the WCSS events.

A great guy.

He will be missed

A couple of years ago I purchased a lock and cylinder set from him for my 82' BRAT and at that time I also asked him about who might be able to do an EJ 2.2 and 5 speed swap for me. We exchanged numbers and spoke over the phone for about an hour or so. Extremely nice man and very helpful, he put me in contact with one of his sons regarding getting the work done on my Brat, in the end I had ShawnW do the work for location, timing, etc, but for the very brief time that our paths crossed, I couldn't sing higher praises for a human being. Sorry to hear of Ed's passing and my sincerest condolences go out to his family, they were blessed to have him in their lives for the time that they did.

Greetings to all from Ed's son, Paul.  I can't tell you how amazing it is to read so many wonderful comments you've all left about my dad.  Thanks so much, and we hope to see you on the 12th.  Just wanted to post that there are a couple pages you can check out for more details regarding what we have planned...

http://rachner.us/ed

His obituary is at www.legacy.com (can't figure out how to copy and paste the link, sorry). 

Again, thank you all so much.  Take care

• Like 1

Subiegal,,  Any way I can get that picture from you?  One of the best I've seen, and in the past 48 hrs I've been through them all.  Please let me know  paulrachner*at*hotmail.com

Edited by edrach

Thanks, Paul.  Gave me a bit of a shock seeing his own name posting in a thread announcing his passing!

Hope you and your Mother and your brothers can take some pleasure from knowing how well liked--and well respected--your Dad was.

All the best to you all going forward.

Nick Carter

A guy doesn't post on here 12,000 times without touching a few of us here.  Having met him in person a few times at the shows I can say he was one of those guys that if I hadn't made my rounds and said hello to then I just hadn't been to the whole show yet.  There are only a handful of people that make that list for me but every time I go to the show the list gets a little longer.   

When he would post on here he would never seem to leave out pertinent information.  You could tell he had lived and done it before he would post.  And if he wasn't sure he would certainly say so but that was pretty rarely since he had done most of the repairs before.  I used to read his PNP updates and wish I could be at the yard with him as he would always find and try to save the rare, elusive and commonly broken stuff from the crusher.  I am a little crushed that he isn't "in the yard" anymore but he sure did save a bunch of our great cars and parts from being there too long.  

• Like 3

While I don't use USMB (because of time constraints) much these days, this is sad news. When Ed was here on the right coast, in the early 80's he helped us lay out our Endurance TSD rally, Sunsetter, and I considered him a friend. RIP friend. BTW, in those days he drove a Datsun 510 if you know what that was.

Edited by rallynutdon
  • Like 1

Just a reminder for anyone that we'll be at the house starting at 2pm tomorrow. Details are in the link my brother already posted above. 

Please feel free to stop in anytime as this will be an open house.

I'm going to miss Ed...a lot. Been wanting to reply to this all week and still cant really put my feelings into words.

Losing good friends is a fact of life the older we get and makes us aware of our own mortality.

And it sucks.

• Like 3

I too have been wanting to express my thoughts about Ed, but there's no way I could even come close to doing him justice. What I knew of him was just through interactions on the forum but he was one of the most genuine people I've known.

I know the pain the family is going through, it's only been just over five months since I lost my dad at 74. There is a long road ahead for everyone. And I know everyone greaves differently. For me it's been hard to put down a wrench since dad was the person who got me started with my love for cars and working on them.

It's hard to really comprehend a loss of this magnitude. But I urge all of you who shared a passion with Ed to continue with your ventures full force. I feel it's the best way to honor the memory of the person he was.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I need to check the board more often.

Ed Certainly had an impact on me.  All the neat stories about Bolivia, advice about EA81's, and just plain hanging out with him at the WCSSes.  An all around Great Guy.

This is a huge loss to our Subaru community.

• 3 weeks later...

I most recently saw Ed when I sold a piece of furniture via Craigslist to a woman.. who showed up being driven by Ed!

I noticed it was him while he was finishing something said to her, so I walked up and pretended to introduce myself as he saw me, and then we had a little laugh. I'll miss his good humor, expertise, and generosity. 

• 1 month later...