Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CLUTCH PROBLEMS EA81 1985 Brat

So... after 4 days of work, having the trans out and in twice, I still dont have a working clutch for my 85 EA81 Brat. Both Rock Auto and Advance Auto Parts I think sent the wrong clutch kit parts. The issue is this: whenever it is back together and the car is running, transitioning the clutch pedal from pressed in to not pressed in or the other way around, it makes a loud screaming noise like something is not working right. The only thing I can think might be that something was not right. So what I am wondering, is if there is any advice out there, and if someone knows a correct parts number for a clutch kit from somewhere for an 85 brat manual dual range. 

In the mean time, I am going to pull all the tiny hairs from my bald head. 

Thanks. 

screaming is usually the throwout bearing, was that a new one as well?

The common mistake the auto parts stores make with your vehicle's is to send you a loyale era clutch kit. The throwout bearing is totally different looking. If you got a kit with no bearing, you might not notice the mistake and install it. It fits, but won't work right. i had this happen and the clutch will always slip if it is the wrong disc/pressure plate. But it didn't make a screaching sound. that is definitely usually a baring issue.

I am wondering if you got the wrong clutch kit (installed one for loyale) and are using your old throwout baring?

please, make it easier on yourself in prep for next out and in to be the last for a while.

How about you tell us what part numbers you got first !

Unsure when the switch was made from 200mm to 225mm dia clutches on EA81 so far no idea what you got

I have listings on two throw out bearing numbers that might mean zip outside Oz  TBR 326 and TBR 336 both are for 225 x 22.2 mm measure of spline shaft x 21 splines and 23mm step. No idea what their difference is ....

The 200 x 22.2 x 21  also lists tbr326 think TBR336 is one of those mistakes that appear in aftermarket cattledogs

But all 4WD and 2WD turbo A82 use TBR 389

@the sucker king: Neither kit had a correct throw out bearing. When it was all taken apart though, the old throw out bearing still seemed fine. Not loose or anything. We used the parts from the advance kit. 

@bratman2 & @TomRhere: Thanks for the advice on the parts ordering! I will make sure to dial down my years when ordering parts in the future. 

@jono: The first kit where it appeared nothing fit was from rockauto. It was a LUK 15-013. The second kit came from Advance Auto Parts and was MU2087-1.

So, we took this trans back out again yesterday only to find that the clutch disc from advance was wrong. The splined part of the clutch is larger than the trans input shaft. The screeching was from the clutch disc just barely grabbing the trans.

So, the kit from advance has the correct size pressure plate, but the clutch won't fit the splines on the trans. The kit from rock auto came with a disc and pressure plate that is too small to match the flywheel that is in the brat.

At this point, I think we would be alright with only replacing the disc and reusing the original throw out bearing and pressure plate, but we don't have a good part number for the disc.

Travis, make sure to post the diameter of your original disc wo we have something to go off of.

The hair on my head is very precious, and I don't want to pull out anymore of it.

They do. I think we should be good to install it tonight and have this finished up.

The bigger picture is this,

How does one tell if they have the 200 or 225mm clutch before taking the engine or trans out?

My 84 DL is due for a clutch and trans swap soon, and I don't want to go through these headaches again.

It really sounds like the best bet is going to be taking the trans out, ordering the parts, and fitting them all on before it gets put back. By checking and making sure everything fits on the trans before it goes back in. Short of that, I dont know if there is a way out there. Just go over and over it again and again with parts managers or something. 

They do. I think we should be good to install it tonight and have this finished up.

How does one tell if they have the 200 or 225mm clutch before taking the engine or trans out?

My 84 DL is due for a clutch and trans swap soon, and I don't want to go through these headaches again.

You know by what transmission you have. The smaller disc goes on any 1600 and 1800 with 2wd trans. the larger disc goes on 1800 with 4wd trans.

83+ has the 225mm flwheel and disc.

FWIW, an EA82 2wd 5spd kit will also fit the late EA81 setups.

You know by what transmission you have. The smaller disc goes on any 1600 and 1800 with 2wd trans. the larger disc goes on 1800 with 4wd trans.

This is incorrect.....EA81 engine cars even w/ dual range 4spds up to 82 have the smaller flywheel and disc still.

the change happened in 83.

• Like 1

Tru 'dat.   Pre 1983 was 200mm 21 spline 7/8" shaft.

1983 + was 225mm 21 spline 7/8" shaft

Watch out for EA82 parts when ordering for EA81... Yes... tell the parts guy it's for an 84.

EA82 4wd is 225mm with 24 spline 1" shaft

EA82 Frontwheel Drive is 200mm with 21 spline 7/8" shaft..... yep... same as the pre 1983 EA81 ... like Gloyale says.  

The guy is usually, almost always, mostly correct alot of the time.     How's that for a compliment?

OP - replace your throwout bearing now... otherwise, you will be pulling the motor AGAIN in the near future.   Also replace the pilot bearing...fer sure.

I reckon you tried to fit a clutch kit meant for EA82 4WD ( and FWD turbo) hopefully.

Don't waste efforts refitting until you know the step required by that clutch pressure plate - 23mm for EA81 and 21mm for EA82

I once mixed up an EA82 225mm pressure plate in between EA81 and 4 speed 4WD - driveable, but would sometimes crunch selecting gears and reverse :( Felt silly when pulled it out

That'd be why no throw out bearing was correct ? EA81 4WD use a cast iron lump with bearing pressed on, EA82 seem to all be integral and maybe plastic body. Think it is blue clutch fork on EA81 is 200mm , then black for 225mm EA81 - unproved theory alert

My 85 MY, made late 84 ended up as a 15 year old in my possession with the smaller 200mm clutch, when I installed EA82 5 speed DR 4WD I added a clutch disc just to suit the 200mm and input shaft which after 9 years still have tag torn off , by my side :)  - was for GM-H Isuzu Gemini 1600cc petrol but has nissan and specs OD 200, ID 160, ST 24, MD 25.6  Part # NSD026 or R7926W. Useless info to you with 4 speed :(

I found EA81 pressure plate for 225mm pressure plate for EA81 has same ID at the finger tips, EA82 ID at the finger tips is greater.

With my 5 speed the EA82 throw out bearing ran about 10mm in from where it should, was a harder pedal and no more adjustment- still , lasted 250,000km at least ! Stress cracks in plate when I removed it to swap engines.

Edited by jono

83+ has the 225mm flwheel and disc.

FWIW, an EA82 2wd 5spd kit will also fit the late EA81 setups.

This is incorrect.....EA81 engine cars even w/ dual range 4spds up to 82 have the smaller flywheel and disc still.

the change happened in 83.

When did they use the Nippon denso disty?

At least I think that is what I have, ordered a cap and rotor from RockA, and they were both wrong. Went to CarQuest they got me the same wrong thing. They finally found the right thing on a 79 or 80 model not sure now, so I'm wondering if the engine has been swapped out.

• 2 weeks later...