Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback -- repeated rear wheel bearing failures

Hello all,

I have a 2005 Outback wagon, base model, 60,000 miles, standard transmission. My wife uses it to commute to work. We are the second owners, bought it with 11,000 miles on it.

About three years ago, I started getting loud whining from the rear end, which increased with speed. Sounded like bad wheel bearings. Took it to Midas, it was bad wheel bearings and they replaced both sides for $500 or so.

About 9 monts later, the noise stared again. Took it back to Midas, they cheerfully replaced both sides under warranty. Couldn't explain why they can gone bad so quickly.

About 9 - 12 months later, same thing. Took it back to Midas, I think they only had to replace one side. They used a different aftermarket bearing which they said they had better experience with. No charge. Nice guys. Apologized for the inconvenience.

Now, we have another bad wheel bearing. I'm starting to wonder why this keeps on happening and if there isn't something that these guys are getting wrong. I was speaking last week someone who used to run a Subaru parts counter; he said there are seals they might not be replacing properly........?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why these rear wheel bearings keep going bad? Is there something Midas needs to knoiw? Is there a bad aftermarket brand that should be avoided? Should I insist on OEM parts this time around?

My patience is wearing thin. As much as I like the guys at Midas, I'd like to see them a little less frequently.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff in Boston

05 Outback

99 Audi A4 Avant

72 Citroen SM

Bearings would have been replaced for free by Subaru - 2005's had a 100,000 mile extended rear wheel bearing warranty.

Does it still have under 100,000 miles?  Call subaru.

Get higher quality bearings.  I would assume, but dont' know for sure, Subaru has refined the bearings.

The shop implicitly said the same thing about low quality bearings:

They used a different aftermarket bearing which they said they had better experience with.\M

Probably the other side that still has the same "low quality" bearings from the first two installs before they "switched brands".

I have had similar experience with my 99 imp/outback. Dealer replaced and 48k later problem came back!  So, rather than lay down another $500, I decided to do myself. Inspecting the new bearing revealed a low quality grease......so, I repacked it with Justice Brothers GC-LB. Part number 6073.Also, I made a press fixture so that the inner races were pressed gently onto the hub shaft. Also did the same for the outer race by removing some material from the old bearing race and using it to press in the new bearing.. My bearing R&R lasted 180,000 miles before replacement was required...not bad for a Subaru Noobie! Oh, the "new replacement bearing seems only to have a bit of relief cut from the outside/middle section of the race that is pressed into the hub....only difference I can see. I really feel that improper/lack of lubrication is the cause of the rear wheel bearing failures. I have only seen4 failed bearings, but all had the outboard bearing dry of lubricant. Hope this info helps others...I found out the hard way. :)

I have had similar experience with my 99 imp/outback.  :)

Yours is a completely different animal than his.  The 2005's have a bolt on hub/bearing assembly rather than your pressed in style.

His comes pre-lubricated, you can't grease them like you can your earlier model.

Multiple bearing failures on your 99 is often a problematic hub or pressing rather than using a hub tamer - replace hub and/or use a hub tamer tool rather than a press and bearings stop failing.

I had this problem with my moms 06.  Put cheap ones in first because obviously she doesn't pay me labor.  About 9 months later she was back.  Got some NSK which are OEM bearings and no complaints about 2 years later so far.  Chances are good the price difference on the crap vs good is about 8 bucks a side.

Repeated failure has to be one or more of:

- cheap bearings

- bearings that need to be greased before use

- damaged by the install process (sloppy press usage, weight on bearing before torquing, etc)

- hub worn/damaged

- knuckle out-of-round

BTW bearings from subaru look like they have almost no grease, and cheap stuff at that- I installed a front as-is from subaru many miles ago, no problems.