Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 Brat $350=score

turbosubarubrat

Nice brat! Um you do know the caliper pistons screw in right? They don't slide in and out like a regular caliper since the park brake is up front. Learned that the hard way myself.

I tried screwing it in for 20 minutes with no luck so i took off then i hit it twice with sledge and put it back together. Once it was bled i tested it out to make sure it was working right which it was. I test brakes on gravel so i can tell what brakes are grabbing from the skid trails from hard stops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wish I hadn't found this thread.  That is what my Brat was supposed to look like.  I bought mine off Craigslist about two winters ago for $50. After renting a tow dolly and gas, I was all in for $120.  I knew it was really rusty but didn't know how bad until I went to pick it up.  1/3rd of the bed was gone including most of the wheel wells.  I decided to part it out and after two years have made over a grand!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Towed her down to DEQ today and passed :) . Planning on going to DMV on monday and getting new plates and tags then to state farm to get insurance swapped back on. Moved the the front snow tires(studs pulled they came that way on the brat) to the rear and put a set of stud less snow tires on the front. Also washed her down and cleaned out the bed since i'm going to start stripping it to prime and bed line maybe tomorrow depending if the bed is dry or not. The radio still needs a adapter plate made which might happen tomorrow also.

Test results:

• Hydrocarbons 55, standard 220
  • Carbon monoxide 0.185, standard 1.0
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today i got a set of Support Our Troops plates transferred on to the brat today, new tags, and registration. I had some trouble getting them to put them on since the plates got out of the system since they stopped making them/issuing them. They had to run a search on the plates and put them back in the system. Plus you had to have the plates on a vehicle you owned or they will not let you use them because they are not issued anymore. They came on my 85 brat when i got so i was set on that part. I just need to mount them tomorrow and take her for a spin.

Nice brush guard you got on there.

I have a identical one on my hatch back that's very straight that i put a winch on. Both are factory brush guards which are hard to find. I still need to straighten out my factory winch bumper for my 85 brat...

• 4 weeks later...