Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pressure Question in a Loyale

I have a 91 Loyale 2WD. At idle the oil pressure is very low, almost on the line. When driving its about 35-45 PSI.

I've had some folks say that is normal and other say it needs an oil pump.

a few problems i have are that i'd like to send the car to Florida for the family to use. I'd hate to send it down and have the oil pump crap out. My next issue is that if it is an oil pump replacing it is involved and time consuming especially on the old beauty.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd get a new oil sending unit before anything. See what that does and go from there. Also not sure but i think an oil pump either works or it doesn't. If your gauge goes up when in gear I would assume your pump works. You can always make sure by taking it out and inspecting. Never bad to replace the O rings and gasket while your at it. Just don't pry on it cause it will crack or break.

oh and here is this bit of info

Here's how your factory oil pressure gauge should behave on a healthy engine with a properly-sealed oil pump:

Startup: should go to around 45psi at idle, and go as high as 60psi when the revs climb.

Warmed up: Should go to 45psi and pretty much stay there when the revs are up, maybe go a little higher if you get on it.

Warmed up idle: Should sit just above the 0 mark, most likely in the 20psi range.

Sure these gauges aren't completely accurate, but they're much better than any domestic gauges I've seen...

• Thanks 1

Thats sounds like what mine does now. Warmed up at idle its just above zero. When driving warm its about 45. I'll check cold idle tomorrow morning.

I'm puttinf some R-12 in the A/C in the morning so I'll check then

thanks

I have a 91 Loyale 2WD. At idle the oil pressure is very low, almost on the line. When driving its about 35-45 PSI.

That's normal for these cars.  I don't think you have a problem.

a few problems i have are that i'd like to send the car to Florida for the family to use. I'd hate to send it down and have the oil pump crap out. My next issue is that if it is an oil pump replacing it is involved and time consuming especially on the old beauty.

I have installed a new oil pump at my last timing belt exchange, simply because it was given to me..after attaching a separate oil pressure gauge, @ 3000 rpm gave 35 psi  …perhaps the pressure may have gone up if I used a thicker oil, but personally I don't see a need to run thicker since the lifters make no noise and the vehicle runs very quiet and gets good mileage…I have been using 5w/20 for a very long time now..