Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY Aftermarket Muffler- No welding; is it possible?

Looks like you have the same type uel header I'm running. Love the sound, but mine keeps blowing the gasket between it header and convertor section. Pretty annoying, and I'm yet to one that will properly seal to the smaller flange.

If youre feeling ambitious, I would try just cutting the flange off and using an adapter, clamps, and some of that exhaust putty stuff. It might remove some practicality for future cat replacement but it could seal. It might be tricky getting the adapter on the cat due to the way its shaped though. Just a seggestion.

Due to the fact that my redneck repair on my midpipe-axleback connection is starting to fail again, I might try just that. Im going to try some exhaust putty first to see if that works, as pointed out before RTV silicone may not be the answer to everything after all

Edited by pginter96

• 5 months later...

Looks like you have the same type uel header I'm running. Love the sound, but mine keeps blowing the gasket between it header and convertor section. Pretty annoying, and I'm yet to one that will properly seal to the smaller flange.

I finally found the post you said this in!

Just dropping a quick tip. I got a new set of single port UEL headers after my EJ22 swap, and used OEM gaskets. The gasket you are talking about is different OEM compared to the sort of perforated steel aftermarket ones. I wish I took a picture before I put it in to show, but its a few layers of steel with a sort of ring that lines both pipes on the inside at the junction. That made all the difference, and I havent had a problem with it.

Either that or the EJ25 headers were junk (likely) or the EJ22 doesnt have enough @ss to blow the gasket (also likely)

So if you havent found one that works, that may be worth a try. Subaru dealer, manifold to cat gasket for 97 legacy 2.2 is what I asked for. I think it was about $6.

I ended up scouring through a bin of random gaskets at a locally owned parts store and found one that worked for me, knock on wood but it's been holding well for about 4 months and roughly 2k miles. I'll give the oem gasket a shot when we get headers for my wife's new 99 GT after I get the motor pieced back together lol.