Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifting the 87 loyal- accord springs?

heading to pick and pull today:) ..wanting to lift the loyal but not sure what year of accord springs to use... AND... wondering if anyone has had good luck with any other kinds of springs?

sincerely, Sean. 425.829.0581

heading to pick and pull today:) ..wanting to lift the loyal but not sure what year of accord springs to use... AND... wondering if anyone has had good luck with any other kinds of springs?

sincerely, Sean. 425.829.0581

For my '86 4WD, I recently installed the kyb "gas adjust" version instead of the ExcelG which was to expensive and not readily available in N/A…also I was going to use the accord springs new from napa until I found out that I had a nearly new set of coils from another subi wagon … The gas-adjust spring perch sits 7/8" higher and after installing the newer subi springs and the necessary washers for extension rod stability, I was sitting 2 1/4" higher then previous…even with 200 extra lbs in the back made no change to the height,... so from hind sight, I am glad that I did not install any other "stronger" springs unless I went with a shock that has another inch extra of extension and the same perch height which is also available for the 4runner under a different # then what I purchased…since first installing the coil-overs, I have removed the thick upper rubber cushion (1/2" difference) to lower the car and give it a more even look to the height..with 185/70/13 tires, I have 8" of clearance from the exhaust (with original struts) and 8" of clearance below the rear-end..it drives well, feels definitely more solid with very little side to side movement…in my case, the real gain from these shocks are only 7/8" because when fully assembled and compared to the originals, the extra added height is only under an inch because of the perch position and extended shock arm/rod to accommodate the stock spring…the rest of my gain comes from replacing those org. weak and worn out springs and shocks..however with that said, new shock replacements are very weak compared to what i have now..there was very little difference in feel between my 25yr org vs the newer replacement by kyb…monroes are even softer, ..I'm happy

Edited by Petersubaru