Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Impreza -96, Nasty sound, clutch or transmission, video sample

Hi!

I replaced clutch maybe max 1200 miles ~ 2000kms ago, a hair less than 300000 km (186k miles) in odometer and today when I was driving back home I noticed when i was shifting into smaller gear it kinda threw off from bigger gear, it was probably from 4th to 3rd gear. That might have been happened twice earlier and it mostly felt in hand, no odd sounds or nothing. This time it was different, when making more gear changes  it felt that something aint right at all and I turned radio and fan off, it was harder to change gears and noise came into cabin so i parked and checked if clutch cable is to blame. Well adjusting it didnt help a bit. If gear is in neutral it idles without additional sounds but after putting any gear it makes noise. Next video is taken when putting gear on for while. Sorry this is so vague description about problem, towing it to garage tomorrow morning and hoping its something simpler and faster than removing engine and redoing clutch.

http://tinypic.com/r/1zftm6b/8     

Update: motor is removed and can't detect problems with throwout bearing as it turns smoothly and quietly, much smoother than old one. Clips holding it were also ok. Pressure plate looked ok.

Dial indicator measures 0,8mm (0.031") side to side play on input shaft, it seems quite a lot. All gears but reverse shift smoothly and that one needs a little more determination. Also turning input shaft by hand (gear in neutral) is ok. Do I jack car up and try turning with gear in with tires off ground to see if it makes any difference? Unfortunately this great and awesome idea came now and not an hour ago while I was in garage :P

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2eq9xrq.jpg

What would be next logical step (besides buying newer Subary, one with turbo)? :P

Thanks Gloyale! Easy front seal replacement thread is excellent and looks doable so contected subaru dealer about seal and bearings but unfortunately no oil seal available and bearings aint stocked at importer so order takes too long for my taste. Best to remove transmission and get serial number to be sure I get bolt on used replacement if things go that way and peek inside to see if theres anything alarming. It's 5 speed dual range transmission and opposedforces part numbers don't bear fruit in ebay wise, except for oil seal.

Before starting to remove transmission we decided to inspect clutchdisc and flywheel; 3 flywheel bolts were backing off and one was so much out it made contact with clutch disc causing those sounds and abnormal shifting experience. I remember torquing them to 75 newton meters (55 foot pounds) and I'm pretty sure there was no thread locker involved as manual didnt mention it if I remember correctly. This time I used it and after engine was reinstalled it shifts perfectly all gears without nasty sounds. I love Subarus, they are so forgiving.  :wub:  Thank you for your help and interest.  :)

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2z4ivwh.jpg

edit:flywheel bolt picture added

Edited by Tremmor