Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
gunther4272001

1998 legacy outback showing a p0740 code

My 1998 Legacy Outback is showing a p0740 code, the check engine light will come on for around four start cycles then goes back off. Comes back on again after a few more start cycles any ideas

Possibly the wiring for the TCC solenoid inside the trans is chafed or pinched and is shorting. Very little clearance between the pan and the valve body and there are several wires and solenoids in there that can be damaged if something pushes against the pan.

I would unplug the large connector for the trans wire harness up by the firewall and check for corrosion there first. Then check the harness where it runs down the side of the trans for chafed wires. If that's clean the pan will probably need to be dropped to check the wiring inside the trans.

Edited by Fairtax4me

changed the tps sensor and the light went out and shifted into overdrive again. light hasnt came back on but stopped shifting into overdrive again could there be a code stored in the computer?

Possibly a fault with the TCC solenoid in the trans. I still think you need to pull the pan.

You won't get circuit fault codes for the lockup solenoid because of the TPS.

just seemed funny changed the tps the light went out and was shifting again. hasnt came back on since usually comes back on within a few starts

Edited by gunther4272001