Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 / 2.2 SINGLE port exhaust gasket part number and HLA Bleed

Swapping a '96 2.2 into a '98 Forester.

Edit: I was thinking I was looking for a 3 bolt-hole gasket- doesn't exist for the SINGLE-PORT heads.

#1: Having trouble finding the SINGLE port exhaust gasket that goes between the y-pipe exhaust manifold and cylinder head. It's NOT the DUAL port.44022AA020>>> 44011AC030.  

EDIT found: Subaru part number should be: 44011AC020

EDIT - found: This should be correct (and 1/2 the price of dealer): MS 97055 Felpro.

This gasket was used on the '96-'98 EJ22  used in the Impreza, Legacy.

Not found @ Autozone, NAPA, NOR THE LOCAL SUBIE Dealer. They ONLY showed the DUAL port for all years. WTH?

#2: Also, the 2.2 has sat @ the local yard - in their shop - for @ last 3+ years ( I almost bought it 3 years ago for another project). Should I BLEED the HLAs before installing the engine?

Thanks,

Td

Edited by wtdash

Do you have an advance auto nearby? They had no problem getting me a set of single port gaskets a few months ago, the one in my town had them in stock. Felpro brand, if I was at home I could probably get you the part number.

I didn't bleed the hlas on my forester swap, it was noisy for a little on start-up. It went back to normal hla quiet pretty quickly. It had also sat for multiple years before I swapped it.

Edited by 86BRATMAN

Do you have an advance auto nearby? They had no problem getting me a set of single port gaskets a few months ago, the one in my town had them in stock. Felpro brand, if I was at home I could probably get you the part number.

I didn't bleed the hlas on my forester swap, it was noisy for a little on start-up. It went back to normal hla quiet pretty quickly. It had also sat for multiple years before I swapped it.

Nothing close...must be an east coaster? I tried to search on RockAuto, etc. too...must not be avl. west of the Mississippi! :-(

See below...were your gaskets 2 or 3 bolts holes?

Thanks

Edited by wtdash

Hmmm, I'm now wondering if the 'new style' is just the 2 bolt hole.....I was thinking it should be 3 bolt holes, since there are 3 studs to hold it on?

P/N: 44011AC020 might be correct...which is probably the MS 97055.

44011AC020.jpg

• 2 months later...

hey guys i also have a ej22 with single port exhaust and was wondering if any of you would know where i could find the part number for those cylinder heads. i cant seem to find them / it anywhere. 

I picked up a 98 legacy with a 96 ej22 with bent valves for dirt cheep and i am looking to hunt down some good remanufactured and or new cylinder heads depending on the cost.

What do you think would be my best value ?

HI,

1st off, a '96 was the last year of NON-interference EJ22's. Have you pulled it apart to verify?

New heads are more than the car's worth. Here's a LINK to opposed forces that shows part numbers.

EDIT: They're about $300/side.

Find another set of heads from an EJ22 - any year from '90 to '98. If yours has EGR look for my post on using a NON-EGR head.

TD

Edited by wtdash