Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL Coupe - Hardtop SSS

TheLoyale

• 2 weeks later...

Sill smokin like Cheech & Chong. Guess its a ring issue as you said Bennie. 

Bummer. I've just stumbled across a pic of the piston we pulled from the engine I was talking about (sheer coincidence!).  No unusual noises, no loss of performance (then again, it was an EA82 so...):

dsc0727newlseriespiston.jpg

I seriously hope it's not this.  But it'd be a good time to drop in a mild cam while you've got the block split :D

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

That looks absolutely horrible mate! I hope its not like that either, although, I don't see any other culprit now. Kinda running out of things to point my finger at :P

If I were to replace Rings and or Pistons, I would try not to split the case. I've seen a video on how to do it just taking the heads off etc... But again, if I'm replacing pistons, I might as well do some research on what can be done to bump torque, milling heads and changing pistons out with something, and dropping in a cam. I dunno, thats a lot of stuff, and it would be far off on a back burner across the ocean. Right now, the car runs and drives really well, took it on a good cruise today actually. I've only noticed some smoke once while stopping from higher speed. 

Its quiet sporadic if I may say.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With a heated garage (we ALL know you have them! :P ) it'd be a good time to strip the engine down and do a thorough rebuild before the next spring comes around ;) ;)

A hone, rings, pistons should do the job.  At worst you could need a rebore, which would still need rings and pistons (oversized!).  While you're there a new set of bearings would be the go.

Then the last bit would be dropping a mild cam in there  :ph34r:   :D

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Spring Time Start! Runs like a beaut. Ordered $200 worth of exhaust tubing and a Merge Collector to finally make a proper UEL header. I'm going to revamp the entire exhaust system soon, never choice of muffler this time to remove the hollow can sound.

Stay turned for an updated video; filled with Boxer splendor!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NI6CsPfae7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by TheLoyale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Installed an oil catch can which seems to have removed the smoking from deceleration and the PCV looks to be free of oil! Still need to make a bracket to fully mount it up and run full HPS Silicon hosing.

On another note, I have made this UEL header with Mandrel bent 16ga 1.75" mild steel tubing, all welded up and mounted. Ordered some more tubing to make the 2.25" mid-pipe which will run to some type of Can style muffler, Looking at Apexi N1 or similar, 2.5 In and a 4" Out. Should sound pretty wicked.

DSCF4058.jpg

DSCF4059.jpg

DSCF4060.jpg

More updates to follow!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So unbeknownst to me until today, Photobucket has changed their Terms and now require a $400/per year fee to keep IMG codes active on 3rd party sites. There for, all Build threads and Write-ups I have made on the USMB (Including hundreds of other threads) will no longer have pictures. I will work on fixing this issue and restoring the threads the best I can so they can still be usable.

So as always, stay tuned for more!

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

So unbeknownst to me until today, Photobucket has changed their Terms and now require a $400/per year fee to keep IMG codes active on 3rd party sites. There for, all Build threads and Write-ups I have made on the USMB (Including hundreds of other threads) will no longer have pictures. I will work on fixing this issue and restoring the threads the best I can so they can still be usable.

So as always, stay tuned for more!

-Tom

AH! I'm super pissed at myself now for not downloading an offline copy of the ski wagon page.

You should get in touch with photobucket's customer service team and see about a free one-week trial or something. Then you can save copies of the threads and keep your $400.

• Like 1