Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unrelated, I know...but both have gone at the same time.

The driver's side seat belt doesn't move anymore, and the warning light blinks anytime the car is on, at a steady rate. I tried to move it back, so I could at least use it, by using the allen wrench system...but to no avail...I can't even turn it back. Anything I can do besides take it to the dealer?

Secondly, I am tired of trying to get MIDAS to replace my guaranteed muffler...they won't order it without looking at it, they want me to wait two hours for them to tell me my muffler needs replacing when it has a 4 inch hole in it and another MIDAS has already given me an estimate. SO, I was wondering how difficult it is to slap a muffler on if I just get one myself, and also what pipe is supposed to be replaced whenever you put a new muffler on (something MIDAS told me too).

Thanks much guys...

Just replaced the muffler/tailpipe one piece unit on the '91. Two bolts and 3 rubber hangers. Took a while to grind of the rusted bolts but only had to raise the rear wheels up about 8" to get good access.

Advance auto had a Walker for $102. Another $4.00 for the gasket and a couple new nuts and bolts. Wear safety glasses.

I don't see a year on yours but assume it's similiar. 1stsubaruparts had the OE muffler for about a $100, but I figured it would cost too much to ship.

Dont know what to say about the seatbelt...sorry. About your muffler, I assume that Midas put it on last time. They are notorious for cutting the stock muffler and tailpipe and its connection to the main exhasut pipe off and welding on an universal fit muffler and pipe together making a seemless pipe from the catylitic converter to the muffler. (they did this to my wife's 93 legacy). If that has happened, then it may be impossible without the right removal and fabricating tools to replace it. If they replaced it like sevensisters has, then you should be able to do it in your garage pretty easily.

Don't know your year or model you have, but I'd be looking for a used seat belt from a Junk Yard before I paid the dealer for a new one. Check around and you might even find one that's the correct colour. Be sure to buy both ends of the belt assembly to be sure that they will lock together, on the off chance that the used belt you buy won't fit your anchor clasp on the right side of your seat.

The mid-pipe will likely need replacing. That means new springs, bolts, and gasket for the connection to the catalyst. The flange at the other end, that connects to the muffler will probably be tired and will not make a tight seal.

It's a '92 legacy wagon, sorry I didn't specify before. When they did the muffler a couple years ago, I made them put on one that was similar to the original; two pipes and all...so hopefully they didn't have to mess with anything.

I saw some posts suggesting there were some switches that could be adjusted to try and get the seatbelt going again...but there was nothing definitive really.