Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Throttle body coolant connection issue

I noticed coolant dripping from my 1992 Legacy (2.2, non turbo, manual trans) this weekend.  Turns out the leak is where the small (about 8 mm id) hose that, I believe, delivers coolant to the throttle body attaches to the cast aluminum water pipe that runs over the top of the engine block.  I had to remove the intake manifold and everything that is attached to it to access this pipe.  I then removed it from the block.  There is a port in the aluminum water pipe into which a short length of copper (brass?) tube was apparently pressed.  The little hose then is installed onto the copper tube.  The problem is that the little copper tube seems to have deteriorated and fallen right out of the aluminum pipe.  What I am wondering is if I can repair this relatively easily or if I am better off just getting a whole replacement aluminum water pipe off a doner car.

If my description makes sense to anyone, has anyone ever dealt with this?  Is the little copper tube available from Subaru?  Is it a press fit into the aluminum pipe?  Any other comments?

Thanks,

Mike V.

When I had my engine out I replaced the o-rings between the engine and that coolant crossover pipe.  I did not closely examine how those hose fittings were attached to the crossover pipe, but my initial reaction is that a repair on it would be tough to do.  It is probably a brazed fitting.

I would think a donor replacement would be more effective in the long run.

If you already have the intake off, you've done most of the work already.

You will want (2) O-Rings #8069-33010 from the dealership, to install your donor water pipe.

While you're in there, I'd look at the black bypass pipe on the drivers side of the engine too, since that other piece of your cooling system rotted off.

Of course, for myself, I tend to replace the whole cooling system at the same time if the history isn't known to me. But thats me.

And, for the record, there is no listing for that brass nipple in my parts catalog, so I assume its just part of the water pipe.

If I had a lathe, it would be easy enough to make a new nipple to then press into the water pipe.  But I do not.  So it would be a matter of trying to find a piece of pipe or tube that will fit, as Cortland Dave said above, with or without drilling the port in the aluminum water pipe.  At this point I guess I will replace the whole pipe and maybe in my "spare time" I can repair this one so I'll have it when/if the other one goes.

What is the consensus on the intake manifold (to cylinder head) gaskets.  Must I get these from the dealer or can I just use whatever my local auto parts dealer will sell me?

The Fel-pro gaskets I got from Rock Auto seem be just fine (and looked very similar/identical to the gaskets on there...which were probably original).  I think Fel-pro gaskets were available locally, but I had some other things to order so it made sense to save a few bucks as RA had the best prices for what I needed (and I wasn't pressed for time).