Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission swap from '87 RX turbo to '87 GL turbo

hey everyone,

ive recently acquired an 87 RX coupe and i cannot get a title, so its been a parts car to my 87 turbo wagon for a bit.

i was wondering how much trouble it would be to swap the 5spd dual range Awd RX tranny into my GL that has a part time Awd 5-spd

im sure its been done with how similar they are, i just wanna know what all is involved in doing the swap

thanks!

The transmission casings are identical, so it'll fit directly into the hole & bolt up to everything.

You don't mention if your current box is single range or dual range.

If it's single range, swap over the vacuum lines. The actuators work the same way.

You'll need to install the dual range lever & console into your wagon. They'll bolt directly in.

You can either keep your existing gearstick, or use the RX one with it's switch. The wiring for the RX switch & your existing gearstick switch are the same (whether they simply swap plugs I don't know).

And check the 2 rear diff ratios. Tho you'll want the LSD from the RX anyway ;)

BTW, no such thing as part-time AWD. Its part-time 4wd. Bit of a difference ;)

Does the RX have the skirt kit? I'm searching for the rear side pieces if you're going to be stripping it...

alright awesome. and yeah they're both 3.70 final drive. the one in my wagon is single range right now, im wanting the dual range and full-time out of the RX. 

so is the RX 4wd and Awd?? lol

and i have all the kits except the sides, still wanna get some myself haha :D 

im not sure about doing the kits on my wagon yet, but if i dont ill let ya know about the rear corner pieces 

None of our RXs are AWD (although AWD wasn't used by Subaru until about 93, they used the term "full-time 4WD"), so it depends on the market as to what transmission was used.

It wouldn't surprise me that maybe very early RXs in the US had the part time 4wd trans.

I'm trying to fit the kit to a wagon & want to lengthen the rear sides so they fit better.

None of our RXs are AWD (although AWD wasn't used by Subaru until about 93, they used the term "full-time 4WD"), so it depends on the market as to what transmission was used.

It wouldn't surprise me that maybe very early RXs in the US had the part time 4wd trans.

I'm trying to fit the kit to a wagon & want to lengthen the rear sides so they fit better.

Tehy did.

85/86 RXs had a Dual range, Part time box with 3.7 final...shorter gears, and 25 spline stubs and 1.16 lo range :(

87 RX's got the "fulltime 4wd, with lockable center diff.....still dual range, 1.16 lo, short gears and 3.7 final.

• Like 1