Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im working on replacing the bushings on my 05 Outback. At first I had trouble removing the control arm from the ball joint (tried both removing the bolt from the pinch knuckle then a beating to the control arm and removing the cotter pin and trying the same beating with a hammer) but I had no luck.  Then decided I might beable to finish the job by leaving it in. So I disconnected the control arm from everywhere but the ball joint and was able to remove the old torn busing and the metal ring around it.  Now I am having trouble pushing in the new bushing.  Does anyone have any ideas on getting the ball joint out? Im going to take both arms to a shop to get them pushed in. I need to have this done by thursday I will be driving back to college.

I use a 3lb hammer and strike the at side of the control arm where the ball joint stud goes through. 3-4 solid hits usually pops it loose.

It also helps to have a large prybar to help pull the control arm down while you swing the hammer.

Since you have the bushings knocked out of the arm you'll have put it back in place and slide the bolts through to hold it.

The steel sleeve bushings can be a pain to replace without a press, but a vice usually works to push the new ones in.