Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to rewire shielded wire? - cam sensor

1999 EJ22

I need to replace the wiring from the cam sensor to the engine harness:

1. can i buy wire that's already shielded? where? 

is this automotive grade, withstand engine heat:

http://www.amazon.com/Shielded-Single-Conductor-Allparts-GW-0809-000/dp/B001FL8SBG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407851771&sr=8-3&keywords=shielded+wire

(or does someone have a wiring harness they could send me, i think I through all of mine away)

2. is the "shield" simply a wrap around the wire - or does it need to be "grounded" or continuous?

I don't see where it's connected to anything, it looks like it just "ends" inside the insulation. Is it just a cover or does it need to connect to something?

The shielding is grounded at the ECU.

You do need a high temp insulated braided shield wire. I think the easiest thing would be to cut the wire you need out of a junkyard car, but I do remember you saying before that the closest junkyard is a bit of a drive and no guarantee of Subarus there. Post here in the classifieds. I'm sure someone has a spare harness they could send you or pull the cam sensor wiring out of.

I'm unclear - if I cut out one single wire, i'll be cutting the shield which is grounded. 

How would I reattach the shielded portion - to where?

If it's grounded at the ECU - where does the shielding wire go at the engine harness - does it have it's own pin? 

at the connector it's only pins that pass through - so the shield wire would have to have a dedicated pin?  or something else?

There is typically one or more sense wires, maybe a sense-ground wire, and the shield wire. The shield wire will have its own pin (or maybe more than one) all the way back to the ECU.

Any good mechanical conductive connection to the shield and another wire/piece of shield will work. It is OK if there is a short gap in the shielding.

O2 sensor wiring is typically only sheilded up to the connector. From the connector to the sensor is usually unsheilded, and is generally not affected by RFI or EMI. On older cars its a low strength DC voltage signal, and it takes a fairly large change in the signal over a long period of time to greatly affect engine operation.

Edited by Fairtax4me