Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace clutch, or get an Automatic Trans.?

Youll never know till you get there. Oil on the clutch would mean you have a gusher of a leak, regardless its a new clutch. There is a flywheel in the way. I'm doing mine now, if I can get my phone to upload to picasa I'll share.

If it is a clutch job, or worse, a clutch job and rear seal replacement, I am simply not going tobe able todo it yself under present circumstances.

I was considering temporarily renting am enclosed storage locker big enough to work on my Brat, but there is jusy too little margin for error, because there is no guarantee I could sucessfuly do it on the weekend and be sure to have it ready to go for work the next Monday.

Also.as opposed to the old days when I would not hesitate to tear things down, foolwith them, and put them back together, with some things, I really would prefer a professional to do them. Its going to cost me dearly,as I do not make much money, but this Brat is the mechanical love of my life, and is worth it.

Problem is the one mechanic in Medford who is a subaru buy is always swamped with work and does not work on the weekends.

There are many good people on this board that would be willing to help you with this project, to get it done in a weekend :) If I were closer I'd drag my tools to you and help you tear it down and put it back together. I can pull that engine in 30-60 minutes, change the clutch in another 30 (not counting resurfacing the flywheel and have it back in the car in an hour or so. Unfortunately I'm a tad far away, but there may be someone with EA experience near you. Just check around :)

Twitch

• Like 1

The rear main seal is a small $ part. If you think its the problem, and you're going to pull the engine or gearbox to check, then just replace it anyway.

IMHO, the small amount of extra effort needed ot replace that part which can kill an engine if it fails (which I've done :( )is worth it.

Just be ready to do the clutch also.

I'd also reckon on needing to machine the flywheel. Do some research on places in your local area that can machine the flywheel for you.

As Twitch has said, even with hand tools, you can have an EA out in under an hour with the right tools. Start making a list of what you need and be prepared for problems (cos if you're prepared for them, they won't happen).

I'd also suggest, given the climate over there, start going round the engine bay now and seeing if the bolts/nuts will actually undo.

ie do one at a time to:

• crack each nut/bolt
  • remove it fully (if it won't undo, don't force it now, but start spraying penetrating fluid and letting it soak)
  • then do it back up

because if the nuts will undone now, then they'll be a breeze to do in a hurry when you need to.

And if you want to post up a list of tools/things you need on here for others to check, we're happy to help :)

Guys, your advice is good and priceless.

Unfortunate reality #1: I cannot work on a car where I live,I have to sneak around tocertain places to do anything at all. Pulling an engine or even havingit up on jack stands at all are just plain out of the question.

Unfortunate reality #2: I have a good job now, doesn;tpay much, but long hours, its already getting dark when I get off work. I just cannotrisk doing it myself and something - anythng going wrong or causing any delay.

Unfortunate reality #3: So far, I have only found one decent (professional) subaru mechanic in my vicinity, his yard is always full to overflowing with work , and he doesn;t work on weekends.

So far as yet, I have not found any Subaru enthusiasts in my vicinity who are in a position to do the work, if I amto be wise, I should not trust a private person to do the work, as there are too many thngs that can go wrong, and although there is one individual here in Medford who I could truct, and who is a master subaru mechanic, I know he does not have the time, so I willnot impose onhim to even ask.

Unfortunate reality #4: I am forced to have to go to 'some' professional mechanic,make sure he knows that I know athing or two, especially about my vehicle, cross my fingers, andget financially raped forthe work. Right now I still donot have the money, and willhave to blow possiblyhalfmy paycheck on just getting the front bearings done on one side, and hope to have enough next check to have the clutch done.

-But I also have to get used tires/wheels for my Brat in the mean time, on those 13 inch rims that I want to get rid of, but have not been able to replace as of yet, because I cannot find resonable priced toyota 6 lug 14 inch rims, or Peugeot 14 inch rims.- least of my problems in scale and comparrison though, lol.

After that, if I don't have to do the brakes ( don't think I will) then I have to find someone to weld a new exahaust system together, who will not have a problem with me using motorcycle exhausts/parts to make essentially side pipes,which in a normal form are likely not street legal, as most are not actual muffler systems.

Once allthis financial raping and drainingof everything I have is done, then I can start to do all the other work I actually want to do, like a little body work, the bed deck, and then painting it. That stuff I wil be able to do myself.

The one bright sun beam in it all is that I have a kinda friend who isa machinist who has done repair work, can be trusted, might be competent, and who has connections at a shop.f I can swing a deal with him/them, I might be ablt to get the work done for a resonable price and also *(slimchance) make a deal to pay to be ableto work on my Subaru at that shop. Problem is I have no way to contact him, exceptthrough a friend of a friend who is very undependable for getting back in touch.

I may get lucky again, sometimes when I am in a position like this, things somehow come together and I amableto make a miracle happen, but I cannot put my eggs in that basket, just keep workingthe situation and hope it works out.

I am looking forward to the day I can post pics of my Brat starting to look like it is destined to...

You don't have self storage places in your area that can handle a car?

Find one that has power outlets, & 24 hours access (so that if they don't permit "work" so can stil sneak in)

They'll be flat, undercover, able to plug in a heater & lights, ...

And prob a good idea to get yourself a rental vehicle for the running around (unless you've got something else)

You don't have self storage places in your area that can handle a car?

Find one that has power outlets, & 24 hours access (so that if they don't permit "work" so can stil sneak in)

They'll be flat, undercover, able to plug in a heater & lights, ...

And prob a good idea to get yourself a rental vehicle for the running around (unless you've got something else)

A very good idea, and I thought of it also - no place here with electrical, and I don;t think there is any true 24 hour access in the local storage places. I willtry again when something comes up again. For now, I would feel much better just having a mechanic take care of these couple of serious matters.

Besides, that frees my mind to figure out just how to do my exhaust system. I need to find a place that will install a motorcycle exhaust system without giving me any guff about it.I frankily don;t even care if apparent side pipes are street legal or not as long as they have actual mufflers and it is not too loud, (It is loud and sounds like hell right now and I'mnot getting a ticket yet,lol ) I may well get away with it. - Especially since that will be the last major mechanical operation for the near future, and I will be able to paint it, etc. Once I am able to paint it, put in the deck/bed cover and such, itwill start looking a little like a hot rod, and the side pipes will kinda 'fit' the picture.