Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does the 1983 GL 4wd rear hub assembly/trailing arm fit 1987 GL?

I am going to be replacing the entire rear hub assembly/trailing arm interchange between the 1983 and 1987 GL cars? I have a stripped hub and spindle shaft. Its been driven on for about 700 miles now and I would rather just replace the entire assembly than deal with hammering and future bearing issues. 

Edit: I need to know because locally those are the only subaru gl cars at the yards that I have found so far. 

Edited by ellevehc

They can fit, but if you are going for it, get both sides and all the hardware. The pivot bolt is lager, for which you will have to drill out the mount on the tube frame in the 83. Otherwise, all the brake hardware and spindle/bearings will interchange.

They can fit, but if you are going for it, get both sides and all the hardware. The pivot bolt is lager, for which you will have to drill out the mount on the tube frame in the 83. Otherwise, all the brake hardware and spindle/bearings will interchange.

I have an 87. I could just take the hub/spindle assembly but I dont know if that would be more or less work than just taking the entire thing and having a spare rear axle. Is the trailing arm connected to the hub assembly with just that one bolt? If so could I undo the strut/shock absorber, axle pin, and trailing arm. Then simply pull the spindle with the hub on it off?

Edit: and disconnect the brakes.

Edited by ellevehc

the hub is contained within the trailing ar. Undo the pivot bolt where it connects to the tube fram, and then the single pivot at the trailing link, or the 3 bolts that hld the link to the trailing arm. The brake backing plate is held on by 3 bolts total.

so there are 4 points to disconnect: inner pivot bolt, shock mount, axle pin, and trailing link pivot at the tube or at the 3 bolts on the side. Good luck

the hub is contained within the trailing ar. Undo the pivot bolt where it connects to the tube fram, and then the single pivot at the trailing link, or the 3 bolts that hld the link to the trailing arm. The brake backing plate is held on by 3 bolts total.

so there are 4 points to disconnect: inner pivot bolt, shock mount, axle pin, and trailing link pivot at the tube or at the 3 bolts on the side. Good luck

Awesome! Thanks for the details I will go get on it. 

Ok so after some effort I'm taking a break. The shaft seems to have about 3 inches of play, the hub won't spin at all and the pin I'm pretty sure is missing. Lots of hammering has been going on but not much progress... suggestions?

the axle stub (once the brake drum is off) can come off withthe axle. IT is common for the axle to seize to the splined stub, especially in the rust belt. Otherwise, heat it with a torch and soak it with PB blaster, and sweat the moisture out of it. It may need to soak in PB overnite or for a few days.

I have resorted to dropping the whole rear sub-asselmbly just so i could swing a 3 lb hammer to get things apart. 

• Like 1