Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Carb help ASAP!!!

Well, the Hitachi on Eyesore finally went south. (leaking gas internally.) It's going to be at least 3 days to get a rebuild kit, and a new carb is a special order part. I have to drive it To Denver Monday. :( Soooooo, I have the '84 Brat... Would the Carb from it (EA-81) work on Eyesore? (EA-71) Or Mick, do you perhaps have a rebuild kit or a spare EA-71 Carb? Someone please help? Gotta get this thing roadworthy in 5 days!

Jeeze, sorry man I totally forgot. Mom did give me the message. I've just been so busy getting ready for the move and all. Where'd you find the kit? it's for the EA-71's carb, right? I have already gone ahead and had my local parts store order a reman Carb. $186. Probably a good idea anyway, just not sure if it will get here in time.

O'reilley's is awesome. Said the Carb would take 3-5 business days, and It came in this morning! Thanks for the help, Subiemech & Mick. I think the gods of moving are smiling on me. I hit the road for Denver Monday.

Yeah, $50 core. Upon closer inspection, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Just totally used up. (and the water passage looked horrible. I guess I need to do a coolant flush!) Would have liked to have kept it & tried to rebuild it, but really need every penny right now. Also got some new NGK's that are going in tomorrow. The store computer recommended .032 gap, that sound right? The FSM says .028 to .035 so I'll go with .032 unless one of you gurus tells me otherwise.

BTW, The car has got POWER now! (well, as much as an EA-71 can have power.) Throttle response is up 100%. Amazing. Seems to want to idle a little high, though. (about 1400rpm's) Idle screw is as low as it will go. I figure it just needs to get run in a little? Other than that, Huge improvement.

The Dingus on the side refers to the black round device that says mixture on it? On my carburetor (California version), it is riveted in and cannot be adjusted. I have heard that some people drill out the rivets and readjust the internal spring, but that is well beyond anything I would attempt to try.

Anyone ever tried to drill out the rivets and try adjusting the internal spring?