Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Betty White - 92 Loyale Ski Bum Edition

Subarocket

I'd like to introduce you all to Betty White. She is my 92 Loyale 4wd that I hitched a ride across BC with two gorgeous women to pick up sight unseen. $1200, 272,000km, rust free by the standards I roll by and well maintained by the previous/original owner. This is my second Loyale but it will be my first project car. My previous car, The Subarocket, is retired to donor status after hitting 350,000km and being driven like a bat out of hell for the last 5 years. A slightly lagging bat, but a bat none-the-less. The Subarocket was a daily driver that regularly cruised the province for ski trips and surf trips and often left me stranded in some interesting situations. It also was the most bitchin' winter vehicle I have ever owned and was regularly used as an RV. Did you know two people can comfortably sleep in a Loyale for a  with an 8' surfboard strapped to the ceiling, a thule box with skis and another board on the roof? It also made a great room when I was working out of town and sleeping in it at -10 for a week. Here are a few shots of my black beauty to honour her before I move on. 

En route to a summer building, biking and surfing on the west coast.

You don't see many old Subarus in BC so I was quite surprised to see this beauty in my hometown.

When I arrived in Vancouver to pick up Betty White I was pretty excited. Island raised (no rust) and one owner are pretty rare things. I was over working on a car that was rusted to crap. This is the cleanest Loyale I have ever seen in person! I knew the rear suspension was bad and I think it is struts (popping/tapping sound). When I was about to fill up on gas and oil in preparation for my 800km drive home I got a great scare out of the oil. The filler tube was full of rusty sludge and the dip stick was almost dry with loose flakes of rust. I immediately drove back to the nearest oil change place who clean things up and found clear oil when they drained it. I assume the rust was from moisture from sitting for a while and was not actually in the system?

Anyways, she drove like a dream and I have already put 2500km on it in 3 weeks. My plan is to lift it, D/R, "camperize", and make it a prime ski bum vehicle with every minor modification I have thought would be convenient over the last few years. I am not a mechanic, nor mechanically inclined. I did an impressive amount of work on Subarocket and learned a lot but lost a lot of time and did many things wrong! All mechanical work will be done by a mechanic and all the camperizing/ customizing will be done by myself. 

I'm stoked to share all this with you and hopefully can gain a lot more insight from my followers. Meet my new bitch.

• Like 1

I'm going to entertain you all with pictures and crazy ideas since my tech talk is more like baby talk compared to you all :)

She's pretty clean.

A little bit of rust that is a bit worse on the other side. I know this will get much worse over the winter but I am dreading getting into rust removal again...

• Like 1

Blackboot hooked me up with a BOSS 2" lift. I plan on doing the outback spacers on the transmount and crossmember, remove the rear cross piece behind the trans, washers under the carrier bearings and slide the CV boot end up the axle (thanks GLoyale).

I also am in the process of converting to 6 lug. I am lathing down the centering lip on the hubs to fit my new rims and keep it hub centric and help with keeping everything tight when transfering the holes over. Excessive I know but it was either that or die grind the center bore on the rims. Lug holes are being drilled with 35/64th bit.

I picked up these wheels from pick a part from an 88 Mazda B2300. 5.5x14. I don't know if I will be able to make the centre caps work :( Any recommendations for durable primer and paint to make these bright white? Would it be best to not strip them down to bare metal and only remove the actual rust, keeping the factory paint as protection?

I'm sick of having to beat my wheels off my hubs with a sledgehammer for 5 minutes because they are rusted together. Any recommendations on paint that will last?

The absolute only complaint I have about these cars is the god awful giant Volvo-esque bumpers that make them look like granny mobiles ;) so the first thing I did was change that. I plan on cutting and fitting a different bumper and have a friend weld it up but for now, this will do. Tie down hooks added for all sorts of fun stuff to be carried on the roof.

Before

Middle

After

I know the tie downs are sideways but the bumper profiles did not allow for much else. Forces will be small anyways. It's not for pulling the car.

• Like 1

Jes, I guess ski bum is a term that probably doesn't get used in Honduras! Basically, I live on a tight budget (not really working) all winter so that I can ski as much as possible. It is derived from living like a homeless person (a bum) so that you can afford to ski. I will be on the road most of the winter so I expect to sleep in it a bunch. It is pretty much my ticket to freedom and I want it to suit my needs exactly. Whether it is climbing bullet proof ice covered logging roads mid winter to hauling gear and putting on long miles. 

Tom, I used bed liner for my front bumper. Would that be appropriate for hubs? The friction and the rubber content seem like they wouldn't go well together.

• Like 2

All said and done I hope she has:

2" lift
6 lug conversion

Big studded winter tires

Dual range swap

Massive light upgrade
Insulated cabin

Semi-permanent bed with cooler and storage access in rear passenger footwells
Thule box

Awning

Drop down tent from rear hatch to expand living space

Interior rear hatch handle

Hitch

Quick tie system for surf boards on roof

Spare tire mount somewhere

Stereo

Power source (converter, extra battery, more cigarette lighter ports? need to research)

Tint

Insulating curtains

vent

and the stuff that will make it reliable for some time to come:
New rear suspension or all four corners upgraded (I've read Jes' suspension mods but that's not quite what I want to do)

Fuel pump is humming pretty loud

Power steering pump maybe

Back half of exhaust

Remove rust

Fix rattling driver side door window

Nice New Ride, What does mean: "Ski Bum Edition"?

I bet it will look even Better when you finish to mod it.

About this:

In my case, I really Like them, mainly Because they somehow "Scream" 1980's

Kind Regards.

They definitely scream 80s and to each their own. I like the snub nose because it reminds of of old Audi Coupe Quattros

AudiQuattro1.jpg

In my case, I really Like them, mainly Because they somehow "Scream" 1980's

Kind Regards.

They 

• Like 1

the 4 runner struts and accord springs are the best mods i have done to my lifted wagon i can have like 300lbs in the back and not even feel it. if you plan on loading it down and driving it on rough roads thats a very very good mod.

with the 4 runner struts and accord springs it lifts the back 2"

• Like 1

Jes, I guess ski bum is a term that probably doesn't get used in Honduras! ...

Yes, you're Right... I learn somethin' New everyday!   :) 

the 4 runner struts and accord springs are the best mods i have done to my lifted wagon i can have like 300lbs in the back and not even feel it. if you plan on loading it down and driving it on rough roads thats a very very good mod.

with the 4 runner struts and accord springs it lifts the back 2"

The Complete information on that Setup, is found in this Writeup:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

In my Case, I has a 2" SJR Lift kit on the Front only, on my "BumbleBeast" and the 4Runner + Accord Setup on the Rear without adding a Lift kit there, and the car sits on Level and Handles Awesome; look for detailed info on the above posted link.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

i have lift blocks in the front and just the strut spring combo in the back. the car sits nice and level and they arent that stiff, mainly because i went with monroes instead of kybs, monroes are always softer. it actually just feels right but then again i wheel my car pretty hard and it always felt like the back was really really squishy. the back would bounce all over the place.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff. I definitely don't want my back end bouncing. I'm a picturing an unloaded truck with a skittery rear end. Really doesn't help with snow driving.

Tom, I thought I read in the safari wagon thread that you had put in other suspension. Some aftermarket ones that also had options to buy raising and lowering springs? This was a log time ago though.

Nope, whole suspension consists of:

Front:

44"lift block kit

4wd struts

Ford tempo springs

Factory top hats

Rear:

4" lift kit

2wd struts (more travel)

Accord rear springs progressive rate (uncut)

Factory tophats

A while ago I was gonna run king springs from Aus, but never did.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the feedback. There are lots of options, I guess I need to figure out what I need (to sort out that tapping noise in the rear and the extra rough speed bump bang) and what I would like (a ride that doesn't feel like small bumps will break off a wheel, less spongy/sag and less roll).

I am guessing the noise in the rear is the struts and the only options are the KYBs or the 4runners, correct? Stiffer ride that is progressive would be tempo/accord springs or kings, correct? 

I am not looking for lift as I am trying to be very conscious of not putting un-needed stress on anything and my 2" lift will get the tires I want underneath. I am dropping my engine and tranny. This is a valid concern is it not? I am hoping to make this ride need less maintenance not more.

Can I get used Accord springs and cut them as needed for height and keep everything else stock? That would stiffen my rear but would I lose travel? I haven't quite wrapped my head around adjusting coils and the affects of travel and stiffness.

Can I get used Accord springs and cut them as needed for height and keep everything else stock? That would stiffen my rear but would I lose travel? I haven't quite wrapped my head around adjusting coils and the affects of travel and stiffness.

if you jack up the back, how far the wheel goes down is how far the accord springs and stock struts will lift it. you will lose a little up travel with uncut accord springs as they are longer. but you could cut a coil or so off and keep everything about normal, just stiffer.

• Like 1