Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Way To Check Distributor From 84 Gl When It's Out?

84 gl fuel delivery problem. fuel pump was replaced and fuel pump relay also. I posted problem before here and it was suggested that the distributor was not sending signal to fuel pump .

so I took the distributor out and was going to switch out with my other 84 gl but it is not a match.

can the original distributor be repaired or checked out at a machine shop? or do I need to replace it?

it is breakerless but the wires that go into it is a different set up from the other GL. im cleaning all the grease off now so I can get the numbers off it.

don't believe it is a signal comes from the distributor either, more likely it is from the coil to the fuel pump control unit. An ideal replacement would be if available in the US would be a safety control switch device for propane fuel conversions and to be wired in separately. Has four wires genrally, power supply in, switched power out, earth, and a signal wire from neg side of the coil. power wire out would feed the fuel pump.

Edited by jono

ok. been reading some old threads about this problem. if its not the dist. I could reinstall, switch the coil with a known good one. if that doesn't work I could also see if the screen in carb is clogged.

this car was a daily driver until this problem.  could I run a separate power line to pump to see if it is working? its brand new. so is the fpsu.

ok. been reading some old threads about this problem. if its not the dist. I could reinstall, switch the coil with a known good one. if that doesn't work I could also see if the screen in carb is clogged.

this car was a daily driver until this problem.  could I run a separate power line to pump to see if it is working? its brand new. so is the fpsu.

Since it runs when spoon fed,both the coil and disty are plenty good enough to operate the FPCU.Forget about them.

A test light on coil - will flash w/cranking.

This same flashing signal needs to appear at the appropriate FPCU terminal.

A wiring problem may prevent this,Look for the flashes at the FPCU.

You can hot wire the pump for testing.

Check the ground too.

Change/check BOTH fuel filters.