Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cali emissions standards in NY- what cats to use?

Just a quick question for anyone who had had the joy of living in NY state... Im looking for new catalytic converters. Mine are rotting away at the flanges, only way theyre staying in is rust and magic. Nothing of any use at the junkyard, so my next choice- RockAuto. However it says that most cats arent legal for sale in CA or for NY vehicles with CA emissions. The Cal-cats are between $250-300 and I need two. The DMV site says that Cali emissions standards arent appliccable if the vehicle has over 7500 miles, but then states all1996 and newer vehicles must meet the standards. Anyone had this issue before? Can I go for the cheaper cats or do I have to get the expensive Cal-Cats?

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/california-emissions-standards

The emissions lable on the hood says my car meets california standards, but my manual says that Subaru AWD vehicles are (in big, bold letters) EXEMPT from EPA emissions tests.

Wat?

The 96 Subaru is the only one I know of that is exempt. Still cannot have a check engine light AFAIk.

If yours is a 96 have the tester acknowledge that before you start.

Look on CL for someone who is parting out one in your model range. You may get blessed and can find the entire exhaust.

Legally a junkyard cannot sell a used cat.

O.

Mines a 97

Still though, I just started working in a shop and have never heard of emissions/smog testing here. As far as I know, you just need a cat and no cel to pass inspection. Ill ask around tomorrow for more info... I just hate having to spend $700 alone on cats, and then midpipe and axleback.

The emissions lable on the hood says my car meets california standards, but my manual says that Subaru AWD vehicles are (in big, bold letters) EXEMPT from EPA emissions tests.

It is exempt from Monitor testing.

Monitors are the emissions system testing that the ECU in the car does to verify the various systems are working correctly. It can take a long time (several drives) to run some of the monitors so they set "Ready".

In 95 and 96 vehicles these Monitors reset every time the key is turned Off. When the key is turned back on the monitors are "Not Ready".

For emissions testing all of the monitors had to be set "Ready" and remain that way after the key is cycled. For this reason the 95 and 96 models are exempt from the electronic monitor testing.

Depending on regulations in your state, the car may still need to pass a tail-pipe emissions test, and is still required to have the CEL working but not lit during testing.