Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just picked up my very first Subaru.  Its a 2002 Forester L.  

Of course the jerk who sold it to me forgot to mention that the headlights don't work.  I replaced the bulbs with new ones, and still nothing. 

If I "fiddle" with the drivers side bulb connector I can get both of the headlights to come on, but they are very dim.  

Oh, and the passenger brights come on... WTF?!?

I checked the ground cleaned it off and it didn't change anything, also I squirted some dielectric grease one the headlight connectors because they're a bit corroded, drivers side is actually burnt a little bit too.  

I'm assuming the problem is bad three prong female connectors, but i'm confused on why both headlights turn on very dimly when I fiddle with the drivers side connector.  

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance. 

I would replace both pigtails to start with, as they are known weak spots in subarus. 

Electrisity does strange thins. The load is after the switching source (in this case a relay). Without a wiring diagram cant tell of the weirdness off the top of my head.

Id have to look it up to be sure but that car should have the ground side switched via the hi/lo dimmer switch. Did you clean the ground for the switch under the column?

You've checked all the fuses?

Damn I am rusty, your right. I blame allergy pills.