Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T hitachi dizzy

I don't know the part number but doesn't the distributor a kind of look like this

and the wiring for the distributor kind of long with external vacuum advance and the harness also would have the knock sensor attached to it

And the electrical plug kind of look like the one in the picture

As to knock sensor not sure its been raining non stop and Brumby is in storage at the moment only have new motor thought both have same loom plugs except the old dizzy was hard wired by previous owner , and the vaccume advance was plugged off so I think the computer is right for this dizzy . It seem all import motors come with a smashed dizzy this one has a cracked cap and a hole in the alloy body but I brought a 2nd hand one in good condition from NZ

.Believe it does have a knock sensoron in the motor  if this is located just behind the gearbox housing . Sorry all this is new to me previous hobby was vintage chevy's no such thing as wirering looms knock sensors ecu's etc To hot things up a holley 4 barrell carby was the go 4 bolt bearings and a shaved head (on the motor not the owner)

Hitachi dizzy   22100AA450

D4P86-01  A8704       NUMBERS AS THEY APPEAR ON DIZZY  4 wires red , green, black , white  different colours to vaccume dizzy 

Thanks to both for your imput help 

ARJ

There is no vaccume advance fittings on the dizzy ,just a straight dizzy with four wires comming out of the bottom of rotor housing section not out of the side like on dizzy's with the vaccume advance on the side of them 

Not like the photos you posted  Thanks   Blaine     shall try to post a photo 

thanks

well the 450 dizzy is not a stand alone spark sender as far as I know, even if you by some fluke can make it run your engine, won't have any advance.

You'd better refresh just what you have and aim to do. Sounds like GEN2 Brumby/BRAT that started life with an EA81, but sounds like you have an EA82 of some sort to shove in, or is already in - just not running

EA82 carby ? No, you mention computer, so you better tell what part number is on ECU if it is genuine

Not sure if  the 450 goes with the 550 ECU  22611AA550 is from 88 MY turbo AWD Vortex, got some notes somewhere

EA82 mpfi

EA82T which is mpfi as well .....only the turbo came with KS

the knock sensor bolts into the top of the block non dizzy side, up the back, right at the front end of the car side of the rear PCV pipe outlet. Can be either white body with two wire or green plastic body and one wire. Think the 450's ECU works with green one wire (one pin) KS

And reasons I ask is there is allegedly one wiring method for the 87 dizzy, and another for the 88 model. The black and the white wire take each others position and not sure which is which myself yet !

Here      http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/download/file.php?id=80      is one ECU pinout listing

Edited by jono

I don't know the part number but doesn't the distributor a kind of look like this

and the wiring for the distributor kind of long with external vacuum advance and the harness also would have the knock sensor attached to it

And the electrical plug kind of look like the one in the picture

Just an FYI the pictures that I put On here are pictures of the distributor for my 86.5 rx

And it is a 1.8 litre Multiport fuel injection

Should of explained brought the brumby with a ea82turbo  already in it the ECU no is 22611AA001   with other numbers underneath the first numbers  (124)  179-0001-1-A  the vaccume advance was not connected This engine seized thanks to a blown turbo seal  I have a 2nd ECU out of a 86 RX came with a good motorwith a vaccume dizzy  but the block leaks oil fron the front joint (where the two halves bolt together) Brought an import engine with a non vaccume dizzy . As the first motor had a vaccume  dizzy without the vaccume hose connected (b;ocked off) , thought I could run the import motor with that ECU . Both dizzy's have four wires but different colours  . The vaccume dizzy's wires are on spade lugs in the rotor section under the dizzy cap  the non vaccume dizzy wires come from underneath it and I cant tell how they are joine inside 

Would like to use the correct distrubitor but don't know which wire goes where if all else fails shall use the vaccume dizzy with no vaccume hooked up but are the internals compatable with the ECU 

The points print out seems to have to many injector connection  in section edited by jono or maybe I cant read it correctly

Thanks  ARJ

OK, a 001 one !! Thought they started at 002 !

Need some numbers off the dizzies now. you got two or three dizzies ?

One with vac advance/boost retard cannister on the side may have a four pin module inside?

Can you please list the dizzy numbers with the AA part numbers  ...AA410 , or AA450

list them separately, part number first, then the wire colours and their trace colour stripe if any

you may as well add if you have a vane type air flow meter or hot wire, and how many wires out of the TPS choice of 2, 3 and six

You;ve got an optical disty there.

It's for use with late EA82 turbo, or SPFI like we got in the states.

That disty will not work without a 4 plug MPFI ECU and harness.

FWIW, the wires are

red= power supply

black = shield

white = reference voltage

Green = pulse voltage

That 001 ECU does not show in the parts listings. 002 and 003 are for 86 models. My guess is that the 001 ECU is a three plug ECU then? If so, you need to start at least with a distributor from the three plug ECU era. There was some wicked rally only ECU, wonder if it got numero uno ?

And hang on - you bought a second ECU - got numbers off the second ECU then .

You bought an unfinished project , was it going to start with ?

You have three engines ? Whichever won't matter so long as they are turbo engines and the inlet manifold goes with correct ECU and dizzy. An inlet manifold and all its bits for a 4 plug ECU does not carry a vacuum advance line for a three plug ECU's vacuum needs

If you run a 3 plug ecu, need to at least know a flapper style air flow meter is needed

the fourth plug of an ECU is essentially running the distributor/coil  switching and its adavnce retard stuff

a three plug ECU and all its sensors etc  could essentially run the engine with a carby dizzy in place, just that dizzy would have different advance curve, no boost retard, no knock retard

Edited by jono

Slowly think I'm getting to understand thanks   THE dizzy with the vaccume advace is a 22100AA063      D4R84-49   0707   WIRE COLOURS  plain yellow -- black+white stripe into one plug   black+yellow stripe and black+red stripe into 2nd plug  this came with the ECU  22611  AA001 but the vaccume hose blocked off 

The same dizzy but with vaccume working cane with an ECU no 22611  AA062

The non vaccume dizzy 22100AA450  Wire colours red - black - white -green  as Corvallis advised as to what they are 

Can I use the non vac dizzy with either ECU  both are three plug ECU's  Can anyone tell me what those wire colours go to on the vaccume advance AAO63 dizzy( the yellow and stripe wires) do they connect to the ECU as Corvalliss advised re the non vaccume dizzy

THANKS   

learning stuff here myself, so understand why you missed the point - 3 plug ECU did not use an optical/no vac can dizzy - that is where the 4th plug of a 4 plugger took over the knock and advance controls...starting to get it ??

the AA062 ECU is listed for just one model - Vortex Turbo FWD manual - 86 and 87 model year, which is different to the AWD turbo Vortex of 1987 made between January and July ? AA062 works with a dizzy with mechanical guts and can. Those cans do boost retard as well and can be rebuilt by advanceddiaphragms.com.au in Brisbane QLD about third the price of a new one - makes the world of difference :)

seeing if I can find or you can search EA82T knock control diagram - will show wire colours etc on 3 plug ECU dizzy and knock control box, will speel things out a bit more.

any good at making pics appear in a post ?

found it - is in here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/146890-vacuum-diagram-needed-for-ea82t-wspider-manifold/

the igniter in the diagram is the four pin module inside the dizzy

been looking - about twenty (plus your unlisted AA001) different ECU part numbers for EA82 NA and turbo, and five distributors

Your AA063 dizzy is designated for Australian only 86 turbo, the rest of the world got AA092 for same application !

Edited by jono

Okay.....we need to get this straight.

The optical disty....4 wire......no "pickup coil" or wires visible under cap.......can only be used with the 4 plug ECU.....Okay?

Now.....with the 3 plug ECU.......the ignition doesn't even run through the ECU at all.  The Ignition timing is controlled by the Knock Computer....seperate unit entirely.

a three plug ECU and all its sensors etc  could essentially run the engine with a carby dizzy in place, just that dizzy would have different advance curve, no boost retard, no knock retard

This is correct......You could run a 2 wire carbed disty with the 3 Plug ECU.

Or you could run Knock control on a Carbed engine using 4 wire magnetic pickup disty (early MPFI w/vac advance)

So....you need to see if the car has a Knock Computer and it's wiring......it comes from a seperate loom though the Right side of the car (passenger in U.S.) 

OK   think I now have the info I need to make things work correctly I either need a four plug ECU or a knock control unit   I take it that MIC-9  and ECJ-8  are only terminal blocks . Shall look at  brumby tomorrow to see if it has a knock sensor mudule and go from there . Probably easyer to fit a knock sensor control unit , The imported motor does have a knock sensor located on the drivers side of the crank case breather valve (Aussie RHD) .

Wonder if the 001 ECU is designed to work as a 4 plug does ,wouldn't a timing hight show if it did this by altering the timing along with engine revs . Which ever way it goes think I now have enough info to sort the problem and wirering diagrams to wire in either dizzy

Wow its appreciated that you guys take the time and trouble to pass on info and help 

Regards   ARJ

• Like 1

you are not out of it yet :)

if the 001 ECU has three plugs, stop wondering if it will work as a 4 plugger does. I find reference that 001 was an 85/86 RX ECU, and 3 plugger I think, reckonmaybe even put money on.

And, not disputing what Gloyale says but, the knock box does not have entire control of the spark, only kicks in when knock sensor signals it, I have forgotten to connect the major round black multi pin plug and driven about for days - the knock control on a rest break - didn't notice until look under bonnet again :)

so, your knock sensor, white two pin or green one pin - also needs matching to dizzy and ECU.

Any wiring loom been wired in yet ?

go the guts type dizzy - need 3 plug ecu, flapper afm, white two pin knock sensor, the knock box