Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New engine time--what will simply "drop in".

Greetings all!

I purchased my first Subaru--a 2003 Baja with an Automatic and 300k. The body is great, interior is beautiful, but the timing belt busted, and I'm in need of a new engine. I've scanned the stickies and tons of threads. While I've got an idea of what not to do for a swap, and a good start on how to how to replace just about any part--for the record some of the how to's on here are dynamite, I'm looking for what drops in, no question. I found one list, on.....Wikipedia. Forgive me.

Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS 00-02 (US)

Impreza Outback Sport 00-02, 04 (US)

Forester 99-02 (US)

Legacy 00-02 (US)

Outback 00-04 (US)

Baja 03-05 (US)

I've read that it must be SOHC so maybe not from a 99 forester. If there's a Subaru vet out there willing to school me on whether or not that is a list I can depend on when shopping, I'm ready to take notes and provide any details one may need. Fire away. Please and thank you.

Why replace the engine?  Damage done when t belt breaks is bent valves. Replace the valves,  resurface the heads,  reassemble and your done. Or.............simply buy replacement heads from a wrecking yard, and install. No need to replace the motor.

Why replace the engine?  Damage done when t belt breaks is bent valves. Replace the valves,  resurface the heads,  reassemble and your done. Or.............simply buy replacement heads from a wrecking yard, and install. No need to replace the motor.

while this is true, at 300,000 he may be further ahead to get a lower mileage engine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The new one is in. It starts, runs and drives, but has wicked case of torque bind. That's a whole different topic to be addressed at another time. Plenty of reading on here about that. I've got more basic questions.

There's a connection to what I think is a knock sensor that I can't get to connect. I'm attempting to upload an image but should it not work, the wires that appear to need to hook up are just a bit more toward the drivers side of under the throttle body. Large white female end and a gray male end. Both are super short and don't want mesh. If they don't, what happens?

Additional trouble area is where the PCV valve had screwed into the old engine. The new engine's port isn't threaded. Its just a short tube that looks to just accept a hose over it. It's all rigged up with hoses and the PVC stuffed in between, but if anyone has a lead on what is better I'm all ears. The Subaru parts guy said there isn't a push in PVC option for any models of that vintage, but without a vin for the engine he wasn't confident about any of it. I suppose I can't blame him.

I appreciate the knowledge in here. Saved me from asking all noob questions first.

post-54770-0-39666500-1411156006_thumb.jpg

Hello. I have a 2001 legacy standard wagon subaru.  Will an engine from a 1995 automatic transmission fit the 2001?  Will the Bell housing fit?  Will The Torque Convertor Swap to the fly whell?   Will Motor mounts fit?  Does it bolt up and what are the differences in the two engines?

I am doing the research for a mechanic able to put a new engine in my tired car.  I have done lots of fixes and paid it off. and then bingo.. oil in the cooling system.  There appears to have been a head gasket replacement once.  and of course it was used when I got it.  

Advice would be very welcome.  

thank you for taking the time to answer any or all of my questions.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's a 2003, make sure it doesn't have EGR. If it does, the options are slim as it was only offered for a couple years (2003 and 2004).

If not, the list is good. Just reuse the intake manifold that is on the current engine on the new engine.

Startpaged yamaha 2008 r6 and no results but motorcycles. it can replace 2003 baja engine? Mmmm

Yes that's the knock sensor.  The ECU will flag it and retard the timing, less power, bad gas mileage.  Make sure the knock sensor is installed correctly and the wire leads are not tangled.  Its a tight area, sometimes it's worth unbolting the throttle body (4 bolts).