Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 years ago I bought an EJ20 long block from a local guy and we have run it ever since under the ej22 obd1 manifold and sensors of a 1990 Legacy L wagon. I had some problems recently and just happen to have another ej22 to put back in. (The thing I find a little weird is the ej20 is a SOHC n/a non turbo)

When the original EJ22 passed away, I found the drive plate stress cracked around the doubler under the crank bolts. Now when I have removed this one, I find it is almost completely sheared around the bolts. It had started to move and was not long to spin the center out of the drive plate.

The only thing I can think of is that since the car tends to creep after shut down, there is an impact when the movement of the running gear meets the now stopped engine plate. It is also possible the used plate I put back in had already stress cracked but I did not see it with the naked eye on the re-install. Probably wasn't hella thourough when I was switching the engine in the snow covered gravel parking lot 2 winters back. Good times.

I ordered a new drive plate from Subaru, there seems to have been a part number change where the old number has been superceded by a new one. I am hoping that there was a re-design of the plate and it is a little sturdier.

Does the early EJ eat these for snacks or am I just special?

I measured it this morning, it is 12" across. The new ones are 11.5" across. I called around and I may have one in Hayden Idaho at the 'Subaru Stuff' store. My GF is driving up tomorrow while I am at work. The man I spoke to said he had quite a few of them in different diameters.

This can't be the original transmission. And the plate doesnt make sense to anyone.post-21057-0-75487300-1410318066_thumb.jpg

If that doesnt work than I'll be in touch Ivan!

Edited by Txakura

It seems that the 12" plate is neither an ej22 nor an ej25. The guys at Subaru Stuff say there was some weird transmission/torque converter  mid 1990 for the turbo (ej22) cars that was only used for a year or a year and a half, and no, they didn't have one. This is clearly not the transmission this car came with. So rather than try to run down some retarded plate from an orphan combination that no one has ever heard of, (including 1st Subaru and Kendall Subaru, Lewiston, Id) it was simpler to just get a common ej22 torque converter that fits the dmn plate I bought and pull the uncommon one.

So, I have a '90 1/2 4eat connecting to my engine through a 2013 11 1/2" drive plate hooked to a '99 Impreza torque converter bolted to a '96 Outback 2.2. Umm yeah, we'll see if it all plays nice.

I would be curious what Bratman finds when he checks his.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ivan nailed it. The only plate that matched this description was the 1992 Legacy Sport Turbo. I got the second to last one in the USA. Ivan and I were going to trailer park boys some kind of exchange on the border but the Predator drones scared him off. I tired to tell him the tin foil hat would keep the hellfires from locking on, but he wouldn't believe me. 

post-21057-0-91335700-1414998905_thumb.jpg

my  cracked plate, yes we drove all the way to wcss and back with that (ignorance is bliss)

post-21057-0-05337000-1414998921_thumb.jpg

top to bottom, 'normal' ej22, the plate only found on the 92 Legacy Sport Turbo and the EJ25 plate some schmuck handed my GF after she drove 110 miles without bothering to compare them

post-21057-0-09639600-1414998948_thumb.jpg

ej 22 on top, 92 Legacy Turbo in the middle, ej 25 on the bottom, bolt holes are lined up, this is the diameter difference

I hope by posting this that it may save some poor soul a lot of grief

Cheers