Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 3-Headlight GL Wagon - Questions

So I know the owner of an area junkyard. He knows I'm into Subies, and called me yesterday about a new car. Impounded from a drunk, he let it go and now the yard owns it. I went and checked it out last night.

Anyway, it is:

1982 Subaru GL Wagon, Tan, 3 headlight ("Third Eye") special order. The EA-81 engine and drive train have been replaced with a SPFI EA-82 (non-turbo) and a 5-speed dual-range manual tranny from a 1988 GL Wagon. ECU unit is sitting on the floor, with the wiring going through the firewall to the engine. Car runs. Body is in good condition, no rust, a few dings and old paint, but overall pretty good. According to the title, car has 173K - but I don't know if the EA-82 transplanted into the car has more or less miles. Engine appears (at least from my cursory examination) to be in good condition, oil is light brown, not black.

What is this car worth, roughly? How rare is the 3-headlight version, and how much of a premium do they command?

Finally, how many of the parts interchange between the 1982 body style GL's and the 1985-1989 GL's I'm familiar with (axles, hubs, etc.)

Any input is greatly appreciated, the yard owner says he'll hold on to the car for me until Monday, by which time I need to make a decision. He's floated me an offer, which I won't disclose, I don't want it to "color" the feedback I get from you all.

Thanks!

Edited by BirdMobile

Parts do not exchange well if you are thinking stock to stock.    However, you mentioned the 82 has the newer ea82 engine and 5 spd tranny.   So it depends on what you want to do with the car.    If you are thinking you want the motor and tranny for your 85-89 GL, then that's about all that will swap.   Well... okay... the wheels also.

Then put an ea81 or ej22 back into the 82... but go with the 5 spd.   Bring that 3rd - Eye back to life.

As you describe it.... $400 - $500.      Then prepare yourself for a labor of love. 

Yes... I'm interested in the car for tge engine and tranny, and the axles if they're compatible with '85-'89 wagons.

However, if this car has some collector value for being "third eye", I'd rather fix it up and sell it, or find someone here who wants the body without engine/tranny or trade for a later model wagon plus cash or something.

Lots of options... I just don't know enough about these "third eye" models to make an informed decision.

Edited by BirdMobile

No other input? I kind of need to decide today whether or not to grab this car...

I'm thinking I might go for it to get the engine and tranny alone... but if there's any particular reason the car body is special or collectible, it would sway me quite a bit.

So far it sounds like the "third eye" models are just any old early-80's soob.