Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My buddy has been using one of the gmb kits for about 25k miles with no issues. My nephew has about 10k on one as well, the other 2 I have installed over the summer so they're still pretty low mileage but I don't forsee any issues.

I'd pop for oem cam and crank seals, along with the oil pump o-ring. They really aren't that expensive considering how long they last compared to the cheap ones.

no waterpump change for me, but I just bought a kit with a mitsuboshi belt and all GMB idlers and tensioner - I HOPE it's OK stuff.

going in my WRX next month.

Both times that I replaced the timing belt on my Forester the belts were Mitsuboshi. I did the second change only because I was doing the HGs and hadn't done the tensioners and idlers the first time.

I think AWD Automotive, where I bought my timing and HG parts said they are OEM.

• Like 1

Used a GMB kit with a Subaru WP in my wife's 2003 Legacy and the tensioner failed at 10k. Made an awful tapping sound and the belt skipped one tooth.

This also happened to my boss' wife's Legacy almost instantly on a newly installed used 251 shortblock. He thought it was just very bad piston slap, but the belt ended up skipping 3 teeth and the car wouldn't even start due to the cam position sensor picking it up.

I've decided to just use the Gates kit with Subaru WP from now on.

I bought this complet kit for my wifes 98 forester one year ago. first the cam seal pop out after 50 miles,then with in 1000 miles the timing belt jumped twice,valve covers leak badly thought maybe I didn't use the right sealent, I would go with the gates kit.also grease was leaking out tensioner bearing.