Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny leak, GL Wagon

Ok so my 1984 Wagon standard tranny is leaking a fair amount, (about two to three tablespoons every 24hrs i would guess) all the fluid is collecting around/on the drain plug and then it drips onto the exhaust pipe below. I have been regualry checking the dipstick and it is still saying its full, (I just redid the fluid) so thats a good thing. So far I have added STOPLEAK to combat the leaking but just in case that doesnt clear it up in the next few days does anyone else have any experience with these trannys and what to do when they leak? 

Mine started puking oil out through the shift shaft seal...and i quickly found out that parts for the old 4 speed just arent available. At least, not the seal i was looking for. Have you checked rockauto or local parts houses?

I bandaided mine by taking the seal out and filling its void on the back with RTV, then reinstalled. I had no hope it would leak less, but it did! Still leaked a little, but bought me some time. This is yet another reason to consider swapping an EA82 5 speed in.

I think the STOPLEAK worked at least for my minor oil leak. I added a second bottle to the tranny today to see if that will clear it up. I think the tranny leak is getting better since I added the first bottle of Stopleak, so hopefully this second bottle will clear it up completely. I guess only time will tell now.

Edited by Sapper 157