Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any reliability issues with the Legacy/Outback auto trannies 00-up?  I searched here didn't see any major issues, trying to confirm if they're ok.

What is the recommended fluid/filter change interval?  What kind of fluid to use?  How long do these trannies last?

thanks for any help

1. 30,000-60,000 mi,

2. dextron II/III or multi vehicle ATF,

3. as long as you don't forget to service the front diff, too, every 15,000-30,000 mi 80w90 or 75w90

( 4. conventional wisdom and old-timer techniques need not apply. Disregard anything grandpa taught you about cars with these subarus.)

Edited by MilesFox

99 and 00 models are subject to "delayed forward engagement" to Drive from Park. The problem can be dealt with by adding Trans-X AT conditioner to the ATF. The problem only affects 99 and 00 models. I know the problem and solution very well, as I drive a 99 model. The problem affects only engaging the tranny into Drive. Once in Drive, the tranny performs nomallly.

• Like 2

check and change fluids as said and never let them run low.

filters are not replaced on these.  the screw on type filters are like $30 and considered life-time, by this age i think it not a bad idea to replace them but it's not called for by Subaru.

the internal screen filters don't touch those unless you have a leak or something and the pan has to come off anyway.

with no service history any car is a gamble - even a low mileage one.

that said, i purchased a 95 Legacy wagon last year with 206,000 on the clock (cheaply, as it had been abused & had a bad tranny)

Tranny replaced, all basic maintenance items brought up to date - full timing service, plugs, wires, filters, etc - and it has been running & driving just fine for almost 10k since I got it on the road in November of last year.

take into consideration the average number of miles put on the car per year. Most people do somewhere between 10-15,000 a year - some more, some less...divide the mileage on the car by its age to get an average per year.

then look at the general condition of the car in comparison - does it look good for the miles, or rough?

other factors - tires - are they all the same brand, size, and wear pattern? Subaru trannies are fussy about tires.

how does it run/drive? does everything work? wipers, washers, radio, cruise, heat/AC, etc...

Edited by heartless

with no service history any car is a gamble - even a low mileage one.

that said, i purchased a 95 Legacy wagon last year with 206,000 on the clock (cheaply, as it had been abused & had a bad tranny)

Tranny replaced, all basic maintenance items brought up to date - full timing service, plugs, wires, filters, etc - and it has been running & driving just fine for almost 10k since I got it on the road in November of last year.

take into consideration the average number of miles put on the car per year. Most people do somewhere between 10-15,000 a year - some more, some less...divide the mileage on the car by its age to get an average per year.

then look at the general condition of the car in comparison - does it look good for the miles, or rough?

other factors - tires - are they all the same brand, size, and wear pattern? Subaru trannies are fussy about tires.

how does it run/drive? does everything work? wipers, washers, radio, cruise, heat/AC, etc...

Over at my oil shop it takes people 6 and 9 months to put 3,000 mi on their car. Of course they never consider trans service every 30, 50, or 60,000 mi depending on their vehicle. 

Edited by MilesFox

Some of my most dependable cars were purchased with over 200,000 miles and more. They wouldn't have made it that long if folks hadn't taken care of them. Mileage is often a sign of good care.

My wife's last car we finally sold at 351,000 miles and I would have driven that car across the country in a heartbeat.

I don't shy away from mileage on cars known to be dependable if they don't appear to have been neglected in maintenance. Subaru being top of the list. Toyota, Honda etc. are in the same ballpark.

What I should have said was, are there any transmission concerns if an 01-up Outback/Legacy for sale has no service history on the AT? 

An example, vw fans would say if an 01-up vw auto trans had no fluid/filter change by 130,000 miles, impending trans failure is likely.  Problem was compounded b/c vwoa said their fluid was "lifetime" so most owners never changed it until it was too late/out of warranty. 

So would an 01-up Outback or Legacy for sale with 150,000 (or 120,000 or 180,000) on the clock and no service history on the auto transmission be cause for upcoming transmission issues?  Or can I as a new/used owner just change the fluid/filter and get 300,000 miles out of a previously unserviced subaru AT?  (as long as the tires are kept uniform)

thanks for the info it helps

So would an 01-up Outback or Legacy for sale with 150,000 (or 120,000 or 180,000) on the clock and no service history on the auto transmission be cause for upcoming transmission issues?  Or can I as a new/used owner just change the fluid/filter and get 300,000 miles out of a previously unserviced subaru AT?  (as long as the tires are kept uniform)

thanks for the info it helps

If the car drives well, tranny shifts good, and the fluid looks ok (a little bit darker than new is ok), then I would not be overly concerened on a Subaru.

If the fluid is very dark and/or smells burned, then yes, there is a potential for failure.

If the fluid looks brand new, I might question when & why it was changed - is it just a maintenance change or trying to cover up a problem? or was the tranny recently replaced or had major work done to it?

Edited by heartless

Honestly, transmission failures are rare, with or without regular fluid changes. The most common failure for the trans is the duty c solenoid and torque bind, which is a serviceable maintenance item, or a broken transfer clutch basket, caused by driving around with a bad duty c. Any more to do with trans failures is the front differential, either due to lack of service, the consumer or the machanic being unaware that the trans has 2 dipsticks and 2 fluids, being drained and filled withthe wrong fluid either DIY or fast lube, OR being drained and not filled under the same circumstance.

In my experience with old subarus or ones with high mileafe, the only one i ever had trans trouble with was a 94 legacy with 104,000 mi experienceing the 'delayed forward engagement' until it warmed up. This also was one of my lowest mile cars, and the service history showed a trans flush at least once.

My 98 forester has 249,000 mi on its trans, unknown history, but no problems. 

I suppose the best way to determine which car to get or which has the betst trans is to drive it. If it drives with nothing wrong, good to go. Otherwise, if there is a problem, it will be obvious.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday we picked up an 05 Outback w/AT.  I'm trying to verify what trans so i know what fluid to get.  According to the pics in the owner's manual it has the 4-speed dip stick.  Taking off from a stop I count 3 gear changes, also pointing to 4-speed.   I checked the VIN position #11 which is a 7, all i could find for code 7 is "awdAT." 

Any other way to tell if I have a 4 or 5 speed auto?  thanks

I've also got an A/T 2005 Outback. If you have the 2.5 non-turbo I'm pretty sure it's the 4eat. The turbos got a 5eat version of the trans. If you start from a stop in 'sport' mode and 'shift' it through the gears yourself you should see the indicator in the dash count up to 4 and no more.