Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 outback won't start then fans and lights stay on after key removed

I've got a problem with a 98 Outback Limited that has left me scratching my head. Battery seems fine, about 12.5 volts with the key on or off. Turn on the key and the dash lights come on as normal. Try to start it and it does nothing. Then when I turn the key off and even pull it out, the fans stay on as do the lights and specifically the ABS light. The only way to get the fans and lights off is to disconnect the battery. Reconnect the battery, reset the security system, and it does the same thing all over again. I think this might have something to do with the security system but I have no clue. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Factory security system.

Starter has been fine.

Green connectors are not plugged in.

I didn't hear any relays clicking but I may not have been listening.

This car is on month 6 of a 2.2 swap so I'll check the engine harness connections since they were obviously apart recently.

Also, I couldn't shift it out of park. At first I thought it could be an issue with the neutral safety switch on the trans so I tried to put it in neutral but it wouldn't release. Never thought to look if the brake lights were coming on when I pressed on the brakes. Car was outside and it decided to start raining as I was looking at this.

I put it in neutral using the manual override and it still behaved the same. The biggest thing that makes me believe this is none of the normal culprits is the way things stay on once the key is removed.

That's the result of the main engine harness being disconnected or having bad connection.  It is what they do.....not sure why excactly...but it's what they do.

I took a look at everything suggested so far and I've found no evidence to suggest any of those things are an issue, but I didn't spend a ton of time with it. I'm currently "serving" two weeks of hard labor for my company out of the country so I won't be able to look at this further until mid October.