Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'd like to try to make a side by side buggy.

utcoyotehunter

I was studying the plans tonight and climbed in to my donor. I realized that the tunnel on the donor is smaller than on the rhino plans.  If this is the case, it may give me peddle room.  It's at a minimum know and if I can change it, a little will go a long way.  Any thoughts?

I borrowed a 110 wire feed from a friend and started to weld the frame the welds didn't look as nice as I had expected so I thought I would see if I had better success with my stick welder thinking that I would go back and forth between the two welders. After starting with stick welder I just kept on welding. I will give the 110 wire feed a second chance but I may just be old school. 

I welded the center section that is about 4' by 4' and it took about 2 hrs. it is surprising how long it takes to fab anything. Really there is not much to tell.

• 1 month later...

It's been about two months since my last post and a fair amount has happened.  I've got the sub-frame completed and due to family needs I am making the buggy the same length as the original wagon.  So in my case no drive-shaft modifications need to take place.  I purchased a j-d squared pipe bender. A little spendy for my taste but a very good product.  I've bent the hoops and one horizontal rung for the passenger compartment. 

I've removed the engine, front trans-axles, rear axles, drive-line and about half of the wiring harness this weekend.

• 4 months later...

I did most of the work on Summer over the Winter?

Just had the welder and a space heater to keep me warm.

Lets have a winter progress report! 

(Summer is doing well but in a garage surrounded by a little over 3 feet of snow)

I need to adapt a plow!  Or pack some snowmobile tracks?

• Like 1

As far as winter progress there hasn't been any. I tarped it and rolled it in to the back yard in November.  I go in to semi-hibernation during the winter time along with hunting, ice fishing, and just hitting the hills. The buggy is about 1/3 done. The frame is mostly complete and tacked together.The engine installed along with the steering wheel and pedals hung. The rear diff is in place.

The things that i remember that i need to do.

Finish the frame around the passenger compartment install the rear shocks.

Remove the engine and the and the rear diff then weld out the frame.

Figure were the gun rack goes and install.

Paint everything.

Reinstall the engine.

Wire the engine electrical system.

Fab the seat brackets.

Remove the temporary floor and install the real floor.

Install the seats.

Install the heater, radiator, speedometer etc...

Skin the buggy.

Wire the lights blinkers horn and so on.

After I put the seats in I think the front passenger compartment

may need to be shortened. o yeah i may need so shorten the drive line and install it.

i usually come out of hibernation around April or May around the time it gets muddy in the hills.

After making the list I think it is closer to 5 percent done.

As far as winter progress there hasn't been any. I tarped it and rolled it in to the back yard in November.  I go in to semi-hibernation during the winter time along with hunting, ice fishing, and just hitting the hills. The buggy is about 1/3 done. The frame is mostly complete and tacked together.The engine installed along with the steering wheel and pedals hung. The rear diff is in place.

The things that i remember that i need to do.

Finish the frame around the passenger compartment install the rear shocks.

Remove the engine and the and the rear diff then weld out the frame.

Figure were the gun rack goes and install.

Paint everything.

Reinstall the engine.

Wire the engine electrical system.

Fab the seat brackets.

Remove the temporary floor and install the real floor.

Install the seats.

Install the heater, radiator, speedometer etc...

Skin the buggy.

Wire the lights blinkers horn and so on.

After I put the seats in I think the front passenger compartment

may need to be shortened. o yeah i may need so shorten the drive line and install it.

i usually come out of hibernation around April or May around the time it gets muddy in the hills.

After making the list I think it is closer to 5 percent done.

Cool! Lets see some pictures!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Snow is down to 26-28 inches now. 

On a good cold morning I could probably get Summer out over the top of the crust.  Maybe.

As Winter drifts away Summer will come out to Play!

Still looking for some update pics...

My plan is to un-tarp the beast this week and then start working evenings on it again.

As far as photos I realy need to enter the 21st century and learn how to post them. I will figure it out soon.

I went out in the desert this weekend and ran in to plenty of snow in the higher elevations but at this rate it will be gone shortly.

• 5 months later...

I have been dreading this update.

I pulled the beast into the garage and manic March never seemed to happen. I rolled it back out in the back yard and tarped it back up the day before I had my rotator cuff surgery. I had two partial tears and one total tear repaired. I have been going to physical therapy sporadically due to my work schedule changing to 12 hr rotating shifts. But am healing very well and hope to get the doters consent to go on a Idaho ATV ride in October. He has informed me the dear hunt is out.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...