Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'd like to try to make a side by side buggy.

utcoyotehunter

I wish Sweet82 was still on here (I think his name was Glen). He lives in Salt Lake City too and when I moved to Wyoming, I stopped by his place to check out the buggy. We went through the neighborhood in it and showed off a bit by climbing some stairs and a retaining wall.

It was a nice buggy. From what I can remember, he got the plans from a place in Australia called Rhino buggies or something of that nature. Was just a stock EA81 drivetrain from a '82 4wd hatch he had bought new and finally rusted out.

I have been looking at sweet82's posts and have pmed him in hopes he will turn up. His being local would be very benafical to me. With any luck I will find a car and run in to Glen. figuratively of course.

I know I would be money ahead to buy the one on Craig's list it is a little too far to test drive.

I'm still trying to talk myself out of this.

• 3 weeks later...

I am giving up on the dual range after rereading the posts.  Some have said the 4EAT would make a good trans for a off roader. I do plan on using it as a mountain machine but never a rock crawler. So I still need it to go fairly slow.  As I mentioned a few weeks ago, there is 86 gl10 wagon in the area. Would this have a good automatic in it?  What year and model should I start to look at and why?

I am giving up on the dual range after rereading the posts.  Some have said the 4EAT would make a good trans for a off roader. I do plan on using it as a mountain machine but never a rock crawler. So I still need it to go fairly slow.  As I mentioned a few weeks ago, there is 86 gl10 wagon in the area. Would this have a good automatic in it?  What year and model should I start to look at and why?

Have you seen this yet? http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/4692089077.html

No I haven't. I have been looking at cars from 1986 to 1989 in hopes of finding a duel range. To see a 2001 with a high  low really surprises me. $5,000 is too much for a donor car for my blood. It is also over 300 miles to look at. It is now time to look at an automatic transmission. But witch one? Hoping for suggestions.

No I haven't. I have been looking at cars from 1986 to 1989 in hopes of finding a duel range. To see a 2001 with a high  low really surprises me. $5,000 is too much for a donor car for my blood. It is also over 300 miles to look at. It is now time to look at an automatic transmission. But witch one? Hoping for suggestions.

A lot of people swap in the Dual Range from the GLs or import an EJ one from outside the us.

As for an automatic you will want to look into the Forester 4.44.  Not sure the exact specs on which versions it came in but someone should know.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good one.

Durable non-interference 2.2 engine.   4.11 Automatic........Could switch it for a 4.44 later.

Strong axles with good travel.....

Rear suspension will limit you to 29" tire (235/75/15) with Subaru parts (99 OB wagon shocks are tallest) 

Wider by a few inches than the older EA cars though and heavier by alot.  But if your making a buggy you can trim lots of weight.

• Like 2

That's a good one.

Durable non-interference 2.2 engine. 4.11 Automatic........Could switch it for a 4.44 later.

Strong axles with good travel.....

Rear suspension will limit you to 29" tire (235/75/15) with Subaru parts (99 OB wagon shocks are tallest)

Wider by a few inches than the older EA cars though and heavier by alot. But if your making a buggy you can trim lots of weight.

The tire size and weight are limited by the body

I wonder how mild or wild of a build you have in mind.

I consider mine fairly mild and low budget. (Taking way to long to build)

Edited by apintonut

My intent is pretty mild and low bugget. Since I am having trouble finding an older car I have been looking newer. If I'm going with a automatic I don't know any reason not to go with a newer and larger car. If there are any reasons to stay away from any cars please let me what and why.

My intent is pretty mild and low bugget. Since I am having trouble finding an older car I have been looking newer. If I'm going with a automatic I don't know any reason not to go with a newer and larger car. If there are any reasons to stay away from any cars please let me what and why.

There are two cars locally that interest me. One is a 99 legacy out back 2.5i with a manual, the other is a 99 legacy sus in an automatic.  Both have head gasket problems.  My concerns are that I am loosing sight of where this started and I may get a donor that will not work for my intended use.  It just dawned on me I don't even know if they are all-wheel drive or not. Any way, would these work easily or should I keep looking for an earlier model.  Does anyone know what gear ratios they are or a site that I can look them up.

I hit pay dirt. I found and put money down on a 85 Justy wagon with a high low and a 1.8 it is beautiful. There are very few oil leaks and a tie rod end issue. The under carriage doesn't have a scratch on it (yet). The guy was showing me how clean the interior is and how clean the carpet is. He was a little disappointed it didn't mean that much to me. I didn't tell him why not.

It is going to a month or so until I can start cannibalizing it.  My daughters truck just lost the timing belt and it is an interference engine. I should have my hands full for a little while not to mention that it is coyote season.

Yes that is exactly what I meant to say, now that I look at the paper work. He put it in the local want ads as a Justy.  When I asked which 3 cylinder it had he said it had a 1.8 4 cylinder with a high low. I confirmed it had the high low and the 4 cylinder and as I said put money down on it and came home whistling.  Now my whistling has gotten a little louder.  He gave me a folder of the previous owners paper work.  It is an 86.  As I said I hit pay dirt.

I totally agree that it is a shame to cannibalize a cherry but I couldn't find a lemon. and to start with a good foundation the out come should be great. Having said that this is in very good shape there is only one spot that has cancer it is on the tale gate. driving it home I got it up to 50 miles per hr in a 65 zone and it did just fine.