Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale -- No fuel

Kraig

Hey guys, 

I'm hoping someone here has had this same problem and can give me a solution.   My soobie is getting no fuel to engine.  I've checked fuses, went to the auto wrecker and pulled another fuel pump, swapped the fuel pump, and the exact same thing happens. 

From time to time when I turn the engine to the ON position however, the fuel pump works for a short period of time (<5 seconds).  This is happening on both fuel pumps. 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is it fuel injected? I had a similar problem, turned out to be a bad ECU. But there are loads of things to check before its worth replacing that. Allot of which can be tested with a volt meter. 

I would think that once the fuel line is pressurized the pump would shut off? I dont know, just thinking out loud. Since it sounds like you have ruled out the fuel pump. I would take the fuel line going to the carb or injectors off, and turn it over. make sure your getting flow, maybe put a pressure tester there to make sure your getting the right pressure. I did that with mine in the engine bay right off the intake, was pretty easy and rules out a few things.

Hey thanks for the replies.  Dee, I appreciate the link, it has given me some ideas, but it is a little different than my problem.  

wagon,  I have taken off the fuel lines right before the filter, so I can see when the fuel pump is actually cranking out fuel.  This is how I discovered that the fuel will come randomly when I turn the ignition to ON, but it happens very rarely.  I'm completely stumped.  It is possible that both pumps are doing the same thing? 

I truly hope its not the ECU

Could someone point me in the direction as to where this is?  I got it from the other discussion .  

I stuck my head under the drivers side and located the ECU, but I do not know where these relays are. 

"The fuel pump relay is actually above the ecu next to the ignition relay on a Loyale, not in the bank of four relays above the fuse box. Someone posted a photo of the pair here a couple weeks ago. "

Could someone point me in the direction as to where this is?  I got it from the other discussion .  

I stuck my head under the drivers side and located the ECU, but I do not know where these relays are. 

"The fuel pump relay is actually above the ecu next to the ignition relay on a Loyale, not in the bank of four relays above the fuse box. Someone posted a photo of the pair here a couple weeks ago. "

I found this

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_fuel_pump_relay_located_on_a_1992_Subaru_Loyale

To me the relay makes most sense, based on how relays work.  Just thinking out loud here.  I am going to put some testers on the connectors tomorrow and see whats getting power and whats not.  If I find the culprit I'll be sure to post it on the board.