Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel bearing update/replacement

I see from attached Subaru service bulletin that Subaru changed specs from the 'Finger' roller bearings installed at manufacture to regular roller wheel bearings.

I have the new part but I am concerned that the mating surface hub is radiused and that will destroy the oil seal it is against?  That it will lead to premature failure?

Anyone have any real word experience?

Thanks!

post-49109-0-00665500-1411716362_thumb.jpg

post-49109-0-05327200-1411716364_thumb.jpg

IMO , you're much better of with the old cylindrical roller bearings than with the new ball type bearings.

Weight distribution across the bearing surfaces is better with the old style because there are 3-4 times as many rollers. The larger contact area makes the bearing last much longer.

• Like 1

My gut reaction is to agree with you.  If I got 260K miles from the old fashioned type.....

The newer standard roller bearing is easier to install, but....

I'm undecided.  Who do you purchase old fashioned tapered 'finger' roller bearings from? Which brands do you trust which have to best life in Subarus?

Thanks!

(I attached pics of the two types in case someone is confused - I have always called them finger bearings but I don't know if that was my family or universal?)

My gut reaction is to agree with you.  If I got 260K miles from the old fashioned type.....

The newer standard roller bearing is easier to install, but....

I'm undecided.  Who do you purchase old fashioned tapered 'finger' roller bearings from? Which brands do you trust which have to best life in Subarus?

Thanks!

(I attached pics of the two types in case someone is confused - I have always called them finger bearings but I don't know if that was my family or universal?)

As long as you get a good Koyo or NTN bearing......either type will work fine for many miles.

I personally like the roller as opposed to the ball type.

Biggest thing is to support the inner race of the bearing as you press the hub through.  If not, the outer bearing race will be loaded by the force of the press.

• Like 1

Gloyale

"Biggest thing is to support the inner race of the bearing as you press the hub through.  If not, the outer bearing race will be loaded by the force of the press." [i only wanted to quote that line...]

Thank you, that is obvious; and I hadn't thought of it. 

Imdew, Given how little the parts cost and the relative ease of the job....  I'm not good at ignoring stuff, it's like an itch I have to scratch!