Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What 2.2 engines can I use in my 1999 manual trans Forester

Your forester is a phase 2 engine, throw out the majority of what you've read about replacing ej25s with ej22s. They mainly apply to replacing an ej25d with an ej22e. Your forester will have either am ej251 or ej253, your only fully functional swap will be for a 99-01 ej222 or ej223. You will still need to get the single port exhaust manifold, as well as swap your original cam and crank gears and intake manifold to the new motor to avoid any electronic issues.

Don't expect this to be as cheap as reported in the threads, the 99-01 ej22 is much less common as it only came in the 99 legacy L and Brighton and 99-01 non-rs impreza. This makes it much more expensive to the purchase. If you simply need new head gaskets on your forester I'd recommend just doing them as it will be much cheaper.

As above, and I'm going to add that the main reason why people chuck the EJ22 block in is to prevent relapses of the blown HGs with the twin-cam EJ25D. The EJ251 in your Foz is single-cam and if you replace the crap OEM HG with a multi-layer steel gasket, as used in the turbo cars (Ithink the part number ends in 64) they become very difficult to blow again. Unless there's something actually wrong with the shortblock I'd just keep it 2.5L and do the HGs.

Cheers.

Those are Fel-Pro Permatorques. I cringe every time I see them in an engine because I've replaced those almost as frequent as the OEM single layer gaskets.

I currently have a car in my bay which had Permatorques installed and it blew the gasket and burnt part of the compression ring out. Was puffing from the radiator like a steam train while it was running.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to car-part.com and locate a motor that is close to you.  I have bought 3 or so from different junk yards and had pretty good luck.  The guys that are able to answer the basic questions and can ship if needed are generally the better ones.  Ask for a 60 day warranty at least. 

• 1 month later...