Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Refresh of a very interesting 1982 Brat

subarubrat

Your Brat is wonderful and that nice shiny engine is great too. It has been a while since I saw a clean engine bay like new.

I don't wish to own it though. I would much rather someone like you own it and keep it in museum quality as you are doing. There is an older fellow with an original Brat in showroom condition only 28k original miles. He brings it out for WCSS every year. Preserving history is much more important to me than bragging rights. Thanks for stepping up to the challenge.

• Like 3

If any one was interested in the 14'' inch wheels he has on the posh vehicle, I have bad news for you. After almost an hour of googling an calling five different numbers, I'm sad to say that TaylorMade Wheels in South Gate, California is no longer in business. I found a number an old business number that happened to be the original owners home phone and the lady I talked to said they were no longer a business. So if you want bigger wheels under your EA81 or EA82 vehicle you're to have go with pugs (which are fairly hard to find in this day and age), drill your hubs for toyotas or drill toyota rims for subaru hubs.  

• Like 1

After routing and minimizing the underhood harness, I started working on the accessories. I have used POR 15 and I cannot suggest it enough. You need to use the whole system, clean and degrease, acid etch, POR 15, and chassis black over it and you get a lifetime finish. Tonight I did the casting for the alternator and AC compressor.

12239601_10153104450190064_1407554575259

• Like 2

One of the best tools for restoration like this is soda blasting, you can buy a nice one from Harbor Freight, they sell two and be sure to buy the bigger one, Here are before and after photos, one side blasted and one side not. You can blast painted or rusted surfaces down to bare metal and it won't harm rubber.

12243277_10153117378345064_2669188116477

12294655_10153117378320064_5133641696413

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ran the motor the other day and it sounds strong! Brakes are bled and as soon as the throttle cable shows up its time to go for a drive! Still remaining is the whole interior......  Got some minor cleanup to do on the wiring harness, install the bed carpet, and continue to search for two NOS trim strips and seats.

• 2 weeks later...