Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Harmonic balancer Quit spinning.

holy cats! I've never seen one that badly rusted up, either! :o it is usually just a small area - like a ring around the shaft - that has rusted. Congrats on persevering and getting that pulley off of there! I dont have as many belts as lmdew, but have done a few...

the timing cover... umm, yeah...not good! what does the other side look like? is it melted as well? even a little?

would be very odd for one side to be that badly melted and the other side to not show any signs of melting...

The driver side plastic looks pristine.   No issu there at all. 

The engine runs fine .     The car had been wrecked in the past .

I found that out when replaced the core support and head light, fender and hood.  Nephew (the previous owner) had hit a deer.     Then I got the car.

Well when I  changed out the core support we found putty work on the core support we were replacing.    The air bag  also seems to be disconnected,   Everything is there but where the yellow wire conduit comes up to the front,, something is missing there.

so last night I smoothed up the interior of the crank sprocket with some 220 paper,,   today ill tackle the crank snout and then proceed to take out the oil pump .

the key ways damaged a little,, however.. all the expert guys here said its not that big of a deal.   The biggest thing is to yes get them lined up correctly with the key way,, and then Torqe the crank bolt down very well.   Im going to Torque mine to 125 ft lbs.  and use some Blue thread locker.

Update,, I got the Oil pump off  and sure enough,, TWO of those Phillips head machine screws were backing out ...  I cleaned it up and put thread locker on the screws and put it back on with a new mating gasket and O-ring and crank Seal  (Felpro gasket Kit)

That cover sure is trashed! I'd agree it was overheated pretty bad at some point. Someone may have replaced the cover on the other side already.

Its a non-interference 2.2 though. Run it naked (no covers).

Clean up the crank and slather a bunch of antiseize all over the snout so that sprocket doesn't rust to it again.

The words "oil pump gasket" scream "I'm gonna leak". Anaerobic flange sealant is the best stuff for the oil pump. And it doesn't leak.

RTV makes little globs that can clog the oil feed passages for the rocker arms and those are very time consuming to remove and tear down just to clean the clog out of them.

The felpro gasket kit came with the O ring,  the crank seal, and a thin gasket for around the oil pump,, not paper,, not cork,, not rubber,, its kinda like a thin clothlike paper.   So that's what I used after I cleaned up both surfaces.

Edited by xdeadeye1

I found this on a web site regarding the 2.2 engine.  This could explain the melting damage to the inner passenger timing cover:

Notice the locating pin on back of the sprockets for reinstallation. Also locate

the reluctors on the back of the left camshaft sprocket. These are the cam angle

sensor reference triggers.

Note: The left camshaft sprocket must not be installed on the right camshaft, as damage

to the inner right cam belt cover may occur. A no start condition also will result.

I found this on a web site regarding the 2.2 engine.  This could explain the melting damage to the inner passenger timing cover:

Notice the locating pin on back of the sprockets for reinstallation. Also locate
the reluctors on the back of the left camshaft sprocket. These are the cam angle
sensor reference triggers.
Note: The left camshaft sprocket must not be installed on the right camshaft, as damage
to the inner right cam belt cover may occur. A no start condition also will result.

I dont think this is the cause of your melted cover - as it notes, if the pulleys are accidentally swapped, the engine wont run - at all.

misplacing the pulleys could cause rubbing damage to the plastic when trying to crank the engine, but it is gauranteed it wont start.

there was something else going on for that cover to be melted that badly.

and I agree with the others - get that "gasket" out of there and use the proper sealant to avoid leaks, and headaches, down the road

Well done video, by which I mean that it is clear and easy to follow.  The question is:  did the seal leak since the video was made 10 months ago?  I have always been afraid to take off the oil pump because to the problem of sealing it, although using the anerobic sealant rather then the rtv would set my mind at ease.  Problem of sealing explained:  if there is too much sealant used that it may/will brake off an plug some of the oil passages as mentioned in the video.  

• 2 years later...

If you buy the Gates kit from NAPA (at least for 2001 and later 2.5,) the kit includes a new tensioner and all the

small timing belt pulleys and sprockets except the crankshaft sprocket, and of course the water pump pulley, which

comes on the new water pump.  Since the timing belt has to come off to replace the water pump, I usually replace the

pump - especially if I don't have personal knowledge that it was replaced recently - think of it as insurance against

having to do the belt again sooner than would otherwise be required!

If you buy the Gates kit from NAPA (at least for 2001 and later 2.5,) the kit includes a new tensioner and all the

small timing belt pulleys and sprockets except the crankshaft sprocket, and of course the water pump pulley, which

comes on the new water pump. Since the timing belt has to come off to replace the water pump, I usually replace the

pump - especially if I don't have personal knowledge that it was replaced recently - think of it as insurance against

having to do the belt again sooner than would otherwise be required!

This thread is three years old, dude

• Like 1