Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Five lug conversion positive camber problems

Carl B.

So I have had my loyale five luged for about 3 years,

the first two years it was lowered on coil overs and I had no alignment issues at all.  Just had to shorten the tie rod ends  for proper toe settings.

Earlier this year I lifted it up about 2" higher than stock, using forester front struts and had crazy positive camber.  I then tried impreza front struts, a little lower, but still can't adjust out the positive camber.

Is this common?  What have you done to fix this?

I'm considering doing the washer mod to the front cross member this weekend but would like to know if there is an easier solution.

the pics are to shadowy to see the camber but I thought I'd attach the anyways.

post-31957-0-56705700-1412992193_thumb.jpg

post-31957-0-29235400-1412992209_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carl B.

Also,  anyone done the cross member washer mod?  

I have seen two pics from Nicos build and from presslab, but it looks like they moved the hole in opposite directions.  I assume Nico was after less negative camber because his car is lowered and presslab was looking to get the opposite result.

Ibreakstuff,  I put aftermarket camber bolts in when I had the forester struts.  I did the crossmember mod today and think that was the biggest help.

Well it was a 14 hour day but I got it all sorted out.  Did crossmember mod, wheel bearings, brake pads, two axle boots, urethane bushings front/rear.  When I put it back together I maxed out the camber bolts and have approx. 2* negative camber.

I need to get it in to an alignment shop this week.

Also anyone interested in urethane bushing upgrade here is a thread that has some useful part numbers

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/127926-more-caster-and-camber/

Its a huge improvement,  but measure the dimensions of your front control arm before ordering parts.  The front control arm bushings on my 91 Loyale are the same size as the rear.