Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cheap coil springs to experiment with? ea82t FWD

Hello,

So I'm doing a 5 lug swap on a 1986 subaru XT turbo FWD. I'm almost 100 percent on going with some aftermarket struts and some custom coil springs. I would like to find some cheap springs to chop and size up so i can best estimate how long my springs need to be to put my vehicle as close to the ground as i would like. I can then take this cut spring to my custom spring maker for reference. Heres where my questions come in

A) when the spec sheet seen here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71926-spring-specs/

says diameter 130mm is that inner or outer diameter?

B) any alternative springs that fit and are cheap and easy to find?

Not alot of 99+ year legacys around the scrap yards here and almost zero imprezas

dont feel like driving 100 miles for springs im gonna cut up

C) anybody have 99'+ legacy or 93'+ impreza front coil springs I can get for cheap? haha

In my opinion me that doesn't sound like an accurate way to determine what spring you need.  

First I recommend you determine what ride height you want.  Then get a strut that has compatible dimensions.  After that you will need to get a spring that is about twice as long as the stroke of the strut you chose. 

Eibach has a very good calculator to help you find the ideal spring. 

http://eibach.com/america/en/motorsport/products/suspension-worksheet

Edited by Carl B.

I used 07 Impreza OBS front springs/struts on my 90 Loyale (it was originally FWD also), they are HUGE. If I remember correctly, the places that rubbed were the bolts mounting the coolant overflow and coil on the driver strut tower. Then at the very bottom of the strut tower itself at full lock in. I was able to just cut the bolts short and BFH the lip of the sheet metal for clearance.