Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant leak 87 gl-10 turbo

I have an 87 gl-10 turbo that has recently sprung quite a large coolant leak (it come pouring right of the engine as I pot coolant into it). I have looked under the hood and underneath the car and I think that the coolant is leaking from the water pump. Is there anywhere else that it could be cause it to leak so much coolant and is there any advice that you could give me on how to fix it. I have basic automotive knowledge but if I could get some pointers and maybe simple instructions I know I can at least attempt to fix it.

• Like 1

Water pump has weep holes in the housing that will let coolant out if the shaft seal fails.

Feed tube to water pump has an O-ring where it fits to pump housing.

Short 90* hose on the top of the water pump for the heater core line.

ok im pretty new to cars so how would I do this? Edited by killaman

It is coming out from underneath the car

DUH!!!  I meant front/side/underneath of engine.....where on the engine is the coolant coming from............Gravity applies everywhere so OF COURSE it's gonna be under the car.

If you can't figure that out maybe you shouldn't be worrying about try to diagnos it yourself....since you have no chance of fixing it yourself......Close your hood.........take it to a mechanic or at least someone knowledgable about what parts an engine has.

DUH!!! I meant front/side/underneath of engine.....where on the engine is the coolant coming from............Gravity applies everywhere so OF COURSE it's gonna be under the car.

If you can't figure that out maybe you shouldn't be worrying about try to diagnos it yourself....since you have no chance of fixing it yourself......Close your hood.........take it to a mechanic or at least someone knowledgable about what parts an engine has.

I would've already taken it to a mechanic if I could afford it but I don't have the money to do that. It is coming from the front of the engine. Edited by killaman

I would've already taken it to a mechanic if I could afford it but I don't have the money to do that. It is coming from the front of the engine.

I don't have enough money to see a dentist but that doensn't mean I'm gonna start pulling my own teeth.

In addition to the above suggestions, check your lower radiator hose, it connects directly below the radiator cap.

There is the aforementioned steel pipe that runs between that hose and the water pump.

Make sure that isn't cracked or broken when you're testing the lower radiator hose.

There is a little elbow that jumps off the water pump and runs up the block under the intake (that big aluminum piece on top of the engine).

Check that little guy for any leaking as well.

Hopefully you can figure out the issue easily :)

Twitch

PS: I apologize for any rudeness you may have encountered here, most members are usually pretty civil.

In addition to the above suggestions, check your lower radiator hose, it connects directly below the radiator cap.

There is the aforementioned steel pipe that runs between that hose and the water pump.

Make sure that isn't cracked or broken when you're testing the lower radiator hose.

There is a little elbow that jumps off the water pump and runs up the block under the intake (that big aluminum piece on top of the engine).

Check that little guy for any leaking as well.

Hopefully you can figure out the issue easily :)

Twitch

PS: I apologize for any rudeness you may have encountered here, most members are usually pretty civil.

Thanks for the help :) , so the lower radiator hose own forking fine the leak is past it where it goes into the engine block and it leaks from there. I looked at all of the hoses and pipes but there is no leakage coming from them, what would you recommend next?