Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 loyale wagon 3peed auto RPM's seem really high

I'm an experienced mechanic that just helped my sister-in-law move to coast. I have no experience with Subaru's. I drove her 90 loyale wagon non turbo with 3 speed auto for her. Drove over 2 mountain passes and a distance of 270 miles. I was at 4000 - 5100 RPM most of the trip at speeds between 55 - 65 mph. This seemed really high and I stopped after fist 20 miles because red "check engine" light came on, to check tranny fluid level. It was really burnt but not low. The temp reading on engine was good at only 1/3 up gauge yet engine compartment was steaming really bad. (I did a coolant flush and water pump on it 3 months prior as well as a full tune up to include wires, plugs, cap, rotor, replaced starter, and changed oil). The coolant level was good, engine oil was good, had no lag in acceleration. My best guess was that trany fluid was so burnt that it wasn't providing enough lubricity to tranny and causing it to overheat. I also figured the burnt fluid was probable causing issues with the torque converter. I bought some tranny treatment, put it in and hoped for the best as time was short and I had nowhere to flush the tranny. The check engine light was now off when I started it but, came back on within the first 5-10 miles. The RPM's didn't change staying between 4500 - 5100 rpm's the rest of the trip. I really worried me with them being so high but I had no choice as the speed limit was 70 mph and I never went over 65 mph. 

So my questions are Is this normal for the RPM's? any thought's on Check engine light? 

• Like 1

They are also built in Japan, where even now, highway speed limits don't get much over 80km/h.

And you thought 55mph seems slow :P

If you want to reduce it, the best way is to fit oversized wheels, and learn the conversion needed so you don't get tickets.

Sounds about right.

at 55 they run about 3800 RPM......by 75 your at 5500 rpm.

they were built when highway Maximums were 55mph nationwide....not really meant to cruise over 60 at all.

although they are very well capable of doing over 60, since its such a small and low HP engine and small auto tranny high rpms sound just about right

My 3AT was the exact same way... your allot better off with a 5MT... i cruised at just around 3k at 55-65 when i swapped my 3AT for the 5MT... like a dream come true. i get alittle over 31mpg on the highway with that 5MT. Honestly, i cant imagine going back to the that crappy auto...