Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2015 Legacy: noise in transmission

Hi everyone, I have a problem with 2015 Legacy 2.5i. I bought this car a month ago and now the mileage is 800. 

Recently, I heard noise when moving when starting the car and shifting the select lever from "P" to "R".

In the past, the sound of a P-to-R shift is muffled, like knocking  two pieces of wood,

Recently, however, it sounds sharp, like knocking two pieces of metal occasionally. 

Is there anything wrong? 

Just to clarify, you only hear the noise when moving the shift selector? Not when the car is actually moving?

Its normal to hear some noise when moving the selector as there are some parts moving inside of the transmission. As things get broken in those noises may change a bit or get a little louder.

If the change becomes drastic, ie: a light click turns into a hammer strike, then there may be cause for concern.

If the sound really bothers you, take the car to the dealer and have them check it out.

Does it make a clunk when you go from reverse to drive also?

You need to let the dealer look at this.  It could be something that is minor right now but could lead to a major repair later.  The dealer should be given an opportunity to take care of this while it is cheaper to fix.  If he blows you off and it becomes a major repair later, he will pay for that mistake.

Edited by keith3267