Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump / Controller problem Hitachi ea82

1986 GL Wagon

Stock carbureted ea82

For some reason the car is extremely hard to start, and once it is started, will not idle unless if throttle is added.
Removing throttle will kill the engine soon if not immediately right after removal.

Previous symptoms while car was being driven:

engine missing at idle speed

engine missing throughout rpm range while driving (mostly low rpm)

engine randomly would die at idle

while taking a right turn in neutral, engine would stall

taking off from a stop or from a slow roll (shifting to 2nd around a corner) it would sometimes just fall flat on its face and chug very slowly as if it was about to die. feathering the throttle afterwards for a few seconds would then bring the rpm back up.

Idle speed is set at about 1,100rpm (set there because it was not idling right and would die)

timing is correct

distributor is advanced to the end of its adjustment range, changing position doesn't do much if anything

When starting the car, when the key is turned to the "on" position, I cannot hear the fuel pump priming itself or the relay/ controller clicking. On a Loyale that I own, when first turned to the "on" position I hear a clicking from a relay, and I hear the fuel pump priming from the rear of the car. This does not happen on the '86.

Is it just that the two are designed differently? One is carbed, the other FI...

• 3 weeks later...